2002 9.9 Honda stalls after running

TECHNOHEAD

Cadet
I have a 2002 Honda 9.9 which I purchased used last year. It has been a bit touchy starting and restarting, but after replacing plugs it seem better till this year. It starts on first or second pull, but I seem to have to leave the choke out just a little, a bit longer than I would think. Then after running at 3/4 troddle for 5 to 10 minutes I try to return to idle and it stalls. It restarts very hard and I usually pull the choke out initially, which seems to partially flood it, then I push choke in and give it about 3.8 troddle and it fires right up, but does not want to idle for a while unless I pull the choke back out about 1/8 inch. Also I noticed the squeez bulb is soft when this happens, but manual says not to pump it up or you will flodd carb. Is this problem a dirty carb and if so will some kind of fuel additive help or is it possibly a partially plugged crank case vent tube, like someone else had on the site.

shrew

Lieutenant
Re: 2002 9.9 Honda stalls after running

This is actually a very common issue.

1) Clean the carb and jet

2) (If cleaning the and jets doesn't resolve) Then replace the jet.

3) (If all else fails) replace the carb.

This happened to my honda, I messed with it and cleaned the carb, but didn't have much luck. For $100 I replaced the carb and all problems went away. The root cause is most likely a combination of:

1) Ethenol in the fuel

2) Fuel not being treated with either Stabile (for ethonal) and/or Startron.

3) Fuel sitting for too long.

4) Marine environment. (Mine was used in a saltwater environment and had a lot of oxidation)

In the future, I would do the following:

1) Always run a stabilizer like Startron in the fuel.

2) When you're done using the outboard for a length of time (say for a few day) don't shut off the motor, instead shut off the fuel shut off and let the fuel bowl in the carb run dry unti lteh engine stalls. This will leave the carb completely empty and dry. The fuel with ethenol sits in the carb and wreaks havoc is left too long.

TECHNOHEAD

Cadet

Thank you for your repy. I did use Sabil in the fuel but it was the normal Stabil not one for Marine use if there is any difference.

I too have taken carbs apart without success. One time it was my chain saw and after trying to clean it I took saw to a dealer and they cleaned it and it worked fine. Could someon tell me how to do it properly?:cool:

shrew

Lieutenant

If you need to choke it to get it to run better, then your running too lean. Meaning you're air/fuel mixture allowing too much air or not enough fuel. More than likely too little fuel.

When you cleaned the carb did you remove and clean the jet? If not, start there. You could also replace the jet. Since a new carb was only $100 I just got a new carb and the motor ran like it was new. then again, mine had some corrosion in places, so it was time. You could bring it down to the dealer to have them do the same if you're unsure.

Yes, there is a diferrence between stabile and stabile for marine. If you're using pump gas with e10 (ethenol) then make sure you use something specifically for ethonal. Stabile makes an ethenol specific product. Startron works extremely well too.

TECHNOHEAD

Cadet

tonight I added a rich mix of stbile for ethanal into the tank and also topped off the tank with fresh fuel and then added Sea Foam to the tank. Then took off air intake to check for any debri and found none. Started motor and tried to adjust air screw and found that it was bent. Turned screw about 1/4 turn and it broke off. Must have been broken most of the way and I finished it. What do I do now ? Can the screw be extracted somehow? Looks like a brass sleeve it screwed into. Not enough broken off stub to grab a hold on.

shrew

Lieutenant

a tiny set of 'easy outs' might do it. I think the set I own came from sears originally. Otherwise, I hope it's set to the correct setting. Otherwise if all else fails, I'd find a Honda Marine Dealer and get a quote on a replacement. I'd guess labor to fix this issue would equal a new one. Unfortunately this problem is going from bad to worse.

By running lean I was alluding to the jets being gummed up and restricting fuel flow, not the air/idle screw being open too far. By choking the engine, you're closing a valve and restricting airflow. It sounds like you were balancing the fuel/air ratio by choking it.

TECHNOHEAD

Cadet

Looks like someone had this carb apart. Air Box encaptured nut housing is cracked, so I can't get the airbox off. I also sprayed carb cleaner around the out side of the carb while running and found it speeded up when spraying around gasket between carb and manifold. No I don't know how to get the sirbox off to replace gaskets.

TECHNOHEAD

Cadet

Strayed carb cleaner on gasket area between carb and intake manifold while engine was running and engine speeded up. So I guess I have and air leak.

Question is should I put some kind of gasket sealer on the new gaskets when I install them and if so what kind?

shrew

Lieutenant

air leak at the gasket would certainly explain why you need to choke the engine to get it to run right. engaging the choke is closing the valve and restricting airflow. You shouldn't need to do this, except you're already getting to much air as a result of the leaking gasket.

This is a 2002 9.9 Honda. Logon to Honda's website and find an authorized honda marine dealer and order a set of replacement gaskets.