'91 Honda BF8A - Fuel? in Engine Oil

sailingchefs

Recruit
Hi All!

This motor is new to me, my first 4-stroke, and first Honda. I got the boat last fall,and took the motor to my outboard guy to be winterized. He said it started easily, idled OK, peed water, and shifted F/N/R easily. No worries.
Today, I got the flush kit, new plugs and fuel filter, and new oil. It had laid on the correct side for the winter, but oil had leaked out this spring. (There is a chance the motor was exposed to below freezing temps for a day or two, when my brother accidentally left the garage open.) I was told to stand it up and pull it over slowly to clear the oil out, then let it sit for a while.
Anyway, it started after a few pulls, but had trouble going past an idle. There is a slight sucking sound that brings to mind a vacuum leak, but maybe that sound is normal. I just wanted to warm it up before draining the oil. When I drained the oil, it came out very thin and opaque, brownish tan. Not sure if that's what is meant by the term 'milky', but not good! The milky oil I've seen out of car motors was rather distinctly whitish. This smells more of fuel than motor oil. There were a few drops of clear water in the bottom of the pan as I poured it back into the empty bottle, but that may have dripped off the motor when I put the pan beneath.
I changed the oil, plugs (which were black) and fuel filter. It started easily, and idles well, but still bogs when you try to advance the throttle. Are the funky oil and bogginess related? Is the block likely cracked? How could fuel get into the engine oil to thin it out? I'm planning to get fresh fuel, and keep letting it idle. Then probably change the oil again to see what it looks like, and get any remaining fuel contamination out. Anything else I can try at home? Or do I take it back to my outboard guy, or suck it up and bring it to the dealer? (SHUDDER< CRINGE) What would I ask them to look at/for?

Our Hunter went hard aground and was lost last fall, after an entire summer spent opening can after can of worms in the driveway, when the motor quit and would not restart. I had been hoping that a Honda 4-stroke would be more dependable.

Hoping for some good news here, guys...

Thanks in advance, Glenn

gss036

Commander
Re: '91 Honda BF8A - Fuel? in Engine Oil

Maybe one the Honda guys will chime in on this, but you never, ever lay a 4stroke on the side for extended time, even on the proper side, always stand them up. You probably have crud in the carb. Honda's have very small orifices and plug easy. Mix a strong mixture of SeaFoam in you gas while idling it and with any luck, it might clean it up if not completely plugged. If let idle for extended time, it is not unusual to get gas into the oil. Cold weather won't harm them unless the lower end has a lot of water in with the gear oil, then that will freeze. If cared for properly Honda is a very reliable motor.