8hp Honda fuel and timing questions.

Tronald

Seaman
I just purchased a used (circa 1995) 8hp Honda that is in very nice condition, but doesn't run right. The guy said that he has to keep priming the bulb to keep it running and it runs rough when it does run.

I did notice upon inspection that the timing belt is somewhat loose. I will go ahead and replace it but I need to know where the marks are to set the cam gear to the flywheel.

Any pointers and things that I should be aware of??

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Tronald

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 8hp Honda fuel and timing questions.

In all honesty, I doubt that timeing belt needs to be changed but you will need the timeing info to adjust the valves.Take the spark plugs out of this unit,remove the pull start,and turn the unit over ,slowly,clockwise, by hand.You will notice a very small dimple on the cam pulley and if you look very carefully,a similar dimple stamped into the FRONT of the cylinder head.Then look equally as carefully at the flywheel and you will see 2 lines 1 marked T the other F .Ignore the F mark .On the REAR pull start boss you will notice a reference arrow.When that arrow and the T mark and the 2 dimples are all lined up,VIOLA!!we are now at top dead center.Remember the inner 2 valves are intake.

Tronald

Seaman

OK, I checked those marks and they look fine. Now, I removed the carberator, cleaned it out along with all of the lines and changed the gas in the tank. Now, it will start but will only run at high speed. As soon as I try to lower it past half throttle, it dies out. Any suggestions??

I APPRECIATE THE HELP!

pvanv

Admiral

Do a proper soak cleaning of the carb, and you will probably be OK.

Tronald

Seaman

OK, I've got it soaking in a quality carb cleaner and I'll let it sit over night. I'll let you know what happens. THANK YOU for your response.

Tronald

Seaman

WHOOO-HOOOO!!!! :D Well, I woke up early this morning and took the carb parts out of the cleaner and there was a lot of gunk on a few parts. Anyway, the culprit was the metering rod that fits under the main jet. It has a lot of very tiny orifaces that were plugged up with black crud. The cleaner worked really well and when I put the carb back on the motor, it started FIRST PULL and idled perfect. I then clamped the motor on my row boat and took it for a spin and is it ever nice! Unbelievably quiet!

I only paid $300 for this engine and you would not believe the condition it's in. I think I got a pretty good deal and I'm looking forward to fishing with it.

THANK YOU EVERYONE! This is a GREAT forum!!

Tronald :D