Tohatsu prop noise

jcb493

Recruit
I recently purchased a new Tohatsu 50HP TLDI. The motor is on a 17' aluminum jon boat, and it has an aluminum prop. The problem is when I put the motor in forward or reverse it sometimes makes a clanking noise at idle speed. When I accelerate the noise goes away. It seems to have something to do with the prop, because when I take the prop off and run it with muffs, it doesn't make this noise. I have only had this motor a little over a month and this noise has occurred periodically since the first time I had the boat on the water. The only thing I have done to this motor is change the gear oil after the 10hr break in period as instructed in the owners manual. Anyway, this is the first Tohatsu I have owned, and I just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this. Also, is this normal or should I take the motor in to the shop to checked out?

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu prop noise

No, that noise is not normal. Some aftermarket props have been known to do that sort of thing.

I would verify:

1. That the correct prop is being used.
2. That the thrust bushing is installed ahead of the prop (and not on backwards).
3. That the nut is torqued correctly

If all that looks OK, get to your dealer under warranty.