Honda BF90A Carb cowl cover air box removal - how to ???

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer
For the life of me I can not get the air box of this 2001 Honda BF90A - I removed 4 bolts and I think there are 2 clips someplace on the inside - I'm ready to smash it off - any ideas before I loose my mind, thanks

Flakeys

Seaman
Re: Honda BF90A Carb cowl cover air box removal - how to ???

Go to Boats.net and enter into your engine as if you are looking to order a part. The schematics will show if there is something you are overlooking.

pvanv

Admiral

For the life of me I can not get the air box of this 2001 Honda BF90A - I removed 4 bolts and I think there are 2 clips someplace on the inside - I'm ready to smash it off - any ideas before I loose my mind, thanks

Having a proper service manual should help you retain your sanity.

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

Manuals are great but I would have to have a public library full to cover all stuff I work on - after studying the situation it appears the only way is to pull intake manifold which made the whole job very easy in one assembly - but cleaning the carbs did not fix the problem

pvanv

Admiral

In fact, Public Libraries do have many of the manuals.

Manual? We don't need no stinking manual...

Working without one is driving blind. Many questions are answered with a good manual: What disassembly procedure? What reassembly procedure? What torque values and sequence to reattach the intake? What float level? What jet sizes? What fuel pump pressure? That vital data is in a good manual.

Eschewing the appropriate factory documentation, then asking those types of questions here, because you don't want to bother with a manual, is asking someone else to do your work for you... to look it up for you and then tell you. Correct me if I am mistaken, but my parents used to call that sort of individual lazy.

While many are happy to share their personal knowledge and tips, it really is unfair to ask them to do your work for you.

Last edited:

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the advise - I guess this forum is a bit sticky

weltiro

Cadet

I had to remove the intake & 4 carbs on my BF90, before I could remove the airbox. Maybe there is a way to do it otherwise, but it appears there are 2 airbox bolts that cannot be accessed until the whole thing is removed.

I just took mine off to clean the carbs. Just bought the 2001 boat & motor. It had sat for 1 1/2 years in storage with bad gas. Needle valves were frozen & gummed up. When I tried to start it gas was seeping out of every carb. I should have it back together Wed.

Did you ever get yours running?

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer

I had to remove the intake & 4 carbs on my BF90, before I could remove the airbox. Maybe there is a way to do it otherwise, but it appears there are 2 airbox bolts that cannot be accessed until the whole thing is removed.

I just took mine off to clean the carbs. Just bought the 2001 boat & motor. It had sat for 1 1/2 years in storage with bad gas. Needle valves were frozen & gummed up. When I tried to start it gas was seeping out of every carb. I should have it back together Wed.

Did you ever get yours running?

Yep, mine is all better now and your right, that is the only way to remove the carbs is by removing the intake manifold.