Tohatsu 50TLDI Fuel Filter

pongy

Seaman Apprentice
Ok, hopefully this is the last question I have about this motor
Is it worth getting an after market Fuel/Water separator filter, The clear bowl type
In the service manual it says the bowl/filter on the engine will trap water and to empty it out if the red ring floats
So is an extra filter worth the expense or is the factory fitted one adequate?

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu 50TLDI Fuel Filter

Depends on the fuel you run. If it's really pure and water-free, the onboard separator filter is adequate. If there are any questions about fuel quality, of if the fuel may sit for a few weeks before use, an aftermarket 10-micron water-separating filter is cheap insurance, and a good idea.

In the Northeast US, we specify external water-separating 10-micron filters for any fuel injected motor. This has become more important in our part of the world since the wide use of E-10 gasoline. Tohatsu America is including water-separating filters with the 25 and 30 hp (fuel injected) motors.

pongy

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks very much for that pvanv
I'm pretty sure our fuel is ok and I generally only fill with the brand name fuels at high turn over outlets but I do need to fill at some out of the way places with low turn over at times
And e10 is becoming more and more common here
I think it may be a wise investment to fit an aftermarket filter, Another job for next weekend :)

rustnrot

Cadet

40 tldi here and I want to add the 10 micron filter. Before I do, a couple of questions.

1. Does the existing fuel pump on the engine have any trouble "pulling through" the extra resistance caused by the 10 micron filter? Will I lose power at high load and rpms immediately or as the filter becomes only a little clogged?

2. Which is the preferred installation method?
A. Fuel tank, then squeeze bulb, then 10 micron, finally engine?
or B. Fuel tank, then 10 micron, then squeeze bulb, finally engine?

Thanks!

pvanv

Admiral

If any filter gets clogged, the fuel pump will have problems pulling through it. That said, the spin-on cannister filters are hard to clog, since they have so much surface area.

Preferred location is as close to the motor as possible. One benefit of that configuration is that you can use the primer bulb to fill the filter. And the fuel pump vacuum won't suck your primer bulb flat if the filter does restrict some.

Tohatsu sells the standard cannister filters, and also has a premium Unikas brand unit that has a clear bowl and floating water ring, like the internal water separator. Racor and others also have both types. Depends on the style you prefer, and whether you want to drain off water or just toss/replace the cannister every season.

rustnrot

Cadet

That's what I wanted to hear. Just wanted to be sure there was no "service bulletin" or something like that saying the tldi engine had a fuel pump that was marginal and adding any extra suction restriction would be a bad idea.

Also, the way you suggest is more straightforward and a cleaner install, at least in my application.

Thanks!