Honda 50hp cooling question

klamath50

Recruit
I mistakenly ran my motor while not putting water through the engine. This went on for about 4 minutes. When I realized the error I turned the water on and smoke/steam came from the lower unit vents, shortly after this the motor stopped running. I let the motor cool down and then started it again, this time with the water going through the ears. The water stream coming out of the pee hole was not as strong as usual but picked up when the rpms were increased. When the rpms decreased the flow slowed and almost stopped. When I put the motor in a garbage can full of water it and started it, no water would come out of the pee hole. Water will come out with the water going through the ears but the motor gets hot much faster than ever. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Honda 50hp cooling question

You have ,almost assuradlly,shredded that water pump impeller and likely melted down the housing and base as well.Pull the gearcase down and do an inspection.If any of those plastic parts around that assembly are distorted in any way,replace them.Do'nt forget to find as many pieces of that impeller as you can.