Honda BF15 Idles Rough

Niceking

Recruit
I'm hoping somebody out there can give me an idea where to look next. I have a BF15 four stroke that is idling rough. I have cleaned the carb with no resulting change. When I pulled the plugs, It looks like the second plug is miss-firing because it has carbon buildup and is also wet. I checked the wires and added some conductive grease to the plug caps. Once again, there was no change. Is there any way to check out the electronics without just buying and replacing them? What should I start with first? Second? Can somebody Please help, I need to go fishing. :(

gss036

Commander
Re: Honda BF15 Idles Rough

I would put in a new set of plugs before doing anything else.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

First of all,do you have a 15a or 15d.If you have a 15d that spark plug advice may be well advised as those cr5eh-9 plugs have a history of intermitant failure.Fuel quality may as well be an issue .Valve adjustment,idle speed and load also come to mind.How did you clean that carb?

Niceking

Recruit

Sorry for not getting back. Internet issues. Anyways, I believe my engine is a 2002 "A". I have already replaced the plugs and set the gap to .64mm. I went ahead and cleaned the carb a second time only to have the O-ring to the Jet set tear when I was putting it back together. :eek: This time I did an overnight soak and cleaned the jet holes using a tip cleaner I use for my welder. (I was really surprised to have a tip cleaner small enough to insert into the jets). I'll put the carb together again with a new o-ring hopefully on Monday, May 24. I'll let you know where I stand. Thanks for the replys.

NiceKing

pvanv

Admiral

I would never recommend using a wire tip cleaner to clear passages in a carb. Scratches left behind will cause weird turbulence in the passages, and may damage the carb to the point that it has to be replaced.