Tohatsu 3.5b2 (1995 2-stroke) gear case removal

turbowhine

Recruit
Hello, I've been having some cooling issues with a new-to-me Tohatsu M3.5B2, which is a 2-stroke. I've got the propeller unit out of the lower case and after removing the two bolts holding the lower unit on, the gear case will drop about one inch but will not come free. Engaging and disengaging the neutral/gear lever will move the whole inner shaft up and down. I don't want to yank on it, but I'm wondering what I'm missing that will allow the gear case to come free of the shaft. Should I remove the bevel gear? I'm trying to access the water impeller to change it out... Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu 3.5b2 (1995 2-stroke) gear case removal

The answer is in the Factory service manual, available at any dealer... You need to disconnect the shift rod. The coupler uses a single bolt with a 10mm head. It is accessible after removing the neoprene grommet plug from the port side of the leg. You will need to reconnect this coupler, set correctly for full range of shift, when reassembling the LU to the leg. Procedure is in the Factory service manual.

Last edited:

oldgradywhite

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Tohatsu 3.5b2 (1995 2-stroke) gear case removal

There is a rubber plug on the leg one that motor its on the right hand side if I remeber right. pop that out with a flat head bedhind the plug you will see the shift shaft and a bolt. loosen the bolt in side the lower unit will fall right out.