Honda 10 hp won't stay running

Robj

Lieutenant
Hello,

I have a 1980's vintage 10 hp Honda outboard. The darn thing won't stay running without the choke. Soon as I take the choke off, it surges and then dies. I went through the carb once, any other suggestions? This is my second Honda that has given me this type of grief. Could anything other than the carb be causing this?

Thanx and have a great day

Rob.

D

DJ

Re: Honda 10 hp won't stay running

Carb. issues have been my experience with Honda's. They have very small orifices in the carb's.

On a few, I have had to replace jets even though they looked free of debris.

Robj

Lieutenant

change some more can do the things you required to be to fit your expertise for honda

QUOTE]

Not sure what that means??

Thanx DJ, that is my thought also. These Honda carbs are much more finicky than any 2 stroke carb that I have ever worked on. And I have worked on many. Will give it another shot.

Thanx again

Rob.

D

DJ

change some more can do the things you required to be to fit your expertise for honda

QUOTE]

Not sure what that means??

Thanx DJ, that is my thought also. These Honda carbs are much more finicky than any 2 stroke carb that I have ever worked on. And I have worked on many. Will give it another shot.

Thanx again

Rob.

Agreed. I CANNOT explain it, only my observations. After I replaced them, they were OK. Weird-agreed!

Robj

Lieutenant

Thank you DJ,

Will have another go at it this weekend.

Have a great day

Rob.

Robj

Lieutenant

Hello again,

Put the carb back on, and now it will run on half choke, so I guess I am winning. The brass piece between the main jet that goes into the venturi, is that piece removable? I was trying to remove it, but did not want to force it.

Man I like my oil burners!!

Thanx and have a great day

Rob.

Robj

Lieutenant

Well 3 10 hp Hondas and they all run like a sack of hammers. Two of them ran great 3 weeks ago. What has changed? Well I ran out of fuel that I had from last year, bought some new stuff, but the new fuel now has Ethanol. My guess is that this CRAPPY Ethanol fuel that we are now forced to buy, is causing my outboard to run like a sack of hammers.

Luckily, the premium grades are Ethanol free, so that is what I will be buying from now on.

Will post an update when I confirm my theory.

Have a great day

Rob.

FishyFun

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Don't forget to run Sea Foam through it. Helped greatly in the 80"s Honda I had.

Lee

Robj

Lieutenant

Hello,

Got some new Ethanol-free gas, went through the carb again, and it runs great.

Thanx for the replies.

Have a great day

Rob.