Honda BF20 Charging fault

pat37

Cadet
Hi could any one please offer some advise on a fault I have on a 2003 Honda BF20. It was overcharging the battery and reading off the scale(16volt plus) on a voltmeter I have on the dash. I have now fitted a new Honda voltage regulator/rectifier which I thought had cured the problem although it would still read 14.5volts on the voltmeter on tickover. After trolling with the engine on tick over for several hours I get an intermittent fault which causes the voltmeter needle to go off the scale again( past the 16volt mark) any help would be much appreciated, many thanks Pat

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: H.onda BF20 Charging fault

That charging system is very simple and a volt meter walking with it can really cause you to chase your tail.Unless you rewind it or modify it it is impossible for those windings to produce any damageing amperage.Check your battery connections carefully for tigntness and to make sure they are whistle clean.Dirty connections can cause your volt meter to do interesting things.

pat37

Cadet

Hi thanks for your advise I will try what you say , many thanks Pat

skycries57

Cadet
Re: Honda BF20 Charging fault

i have your exact motor, curious to know if your problem was fixed. I trickled charged my battery overnight and reads 16 amps as well when done?