Honda BF8D water leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aground

Recruit
I have a 2005 Honda BF8D which is leaking cooling water through the flush port. The flush port is part of the thermostat housing on the engine block and I'm getting a steady stream of hot water flowing out of the port when the engine is running. I've blanked off the port with an M8 stainless steel bolt & fibre washer for now so that I can use the engine. The schematic diagram shows a flush port check valve held against a gasket by a spring inside the housing, which I assume is supposed to close off this port when the cooling system is pressurised by the water pump when the engine is running.
I can think of two reasons for the leak- either that the valve has corroded/ got jammed by grit or alternatively that using the flush port has somehow moved the check valve out of place (into the thermostat housing perhaps). Does anyone know if the water pressure from flushing with a normal garden hose could force the valve out of place and if so would this block/jam the thermostat? Or can I just leave my blanking plug in the flush port and relax??
Grateful for any advice....

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Honda BF8D water leak

This is nothing new.As much as I like this engine,this is a shortcomeing that Honda has been slow to deal with.For now leave the plug in and lets all start alittle campaine to get Honda to adress this issue.

Willyjim

Recruit
Re: Honda BF8D water leak

I've got the same problem with my 8hp. Just bought the engine. Is plugging the flush port with a bolt and rubber washer a safe way to fix the leak in the long run? Is the flush port only used for flushing or does this port have any other necessary function - like a pressure release valve for instance?
Thanks

sfmaster

Seaman
Hi,

My engine started to do the same. Has plugging the port hole been safe and resolved the issue? Or is there a reasonable fix? Thx

Status
Not open for further replies.