honda 50 hp no reverse

timmyg

Seaman
My neighbor has a 2003 Honda 50 hp that he had the waterpump replaced in a few months ago. He put the boat back onto the water after the repair but hasn't tried to use it ( he had health issues). Being the holiday weekend he was wanting to try to use it and when he tries to put it into reverse all he gets is a loud clicking in the foot like it isn't engaging fully. He never had a reverse issue before now and I would guess that the boat has less than 100 hrs on it.
My thinking is that the repair shop either damaged the lower unit, bent the shift rod or may not have it connected correctly.

OH and BTW the reason he took it to the shop in the first place was that it quit peeing and they replaced the waterpump got it home, still not peeing, took it back to the shop only to find a mud dobber clogged the hole.
So needless to say he has washed his hands of that shop.

Is there any kind of an adjustment that I can make to make it engage fully?
Has anyone else experienced this problem?

IGIFF

Cadet
Re: honda 50 hp no reverse

Take it back and tell them to fix it,they have connected the shift link rod incorrectly,two minute job to sort out if you know what you are doing.

timmyg

Seaman

Thanks but I found the info I needed to adjust it.

Sometimes you get to a point with a useless repair shop that you are better off repairing it yourself :mad:

Especially when it is on a pontoon and you have to get it back to the landing load it and haul it to them only for them to tell you it will be 2 weeks before they can look at it.:confused:

And knowing this shop they would have made him buy a new foot when I fixed it in two min.

atkins808

Cadet

What ended up working for you? I have the same motor and it will not go into reverse. I put two new cables on it and that did not fix it. I even disconnected the cable and tried to move the shift lever with my hand and still could not get it into reverse. neutral and forward works fine. Thanks

Kicker9158

Cadet

What ended up working for you? I have the same motor and it will not go into reverse. I put two new cables on it and that did not fix it. I even disconnected the cable and tried to move the shift lever with my hand and still could not get it into reverse. neutral and forward works fine. Thanks

Have you recently done work on your lower end?

Last edited:

timmyg

Seaman

I this case they had the lower end off at a repair shop to replace the water pump.
I was able to adjust this one at the connection where the lower end unhooks. It seems that these do not travel very far so the slightest adj. could make a big difference.

Let us know if this helps.