steering friction tohatsu M9.8A mid 80s model

Bluster

Recruit
Can any please advise the best way to adjust the steering friction on a mid 80's Tohatsu two stroke model M9.8A. I've looked but can see no way of adjusting it. I've greased the Grease nipple at the bottom. Buts just so tight that it is a real pain to steer.

Really frustrated

pvanv

Admiral
Re: steering friction tohatsu M9.8A mid 80s model

Unfortunately I don't have a book for that older A model... but the B model uses a bolt to adjust the steering friction. The A model is likely similar. I have seen some older units (of various brands) that get corrosion in the swivel, making it really stiff -- especially if used in salt. In that case, we have disassembled the swivel bracket and cleaned everything -- sometimes sanding off the corrosion -- before reassembling and lubricating the swivel bracket.

Bluster

Recruit

Hi Paul

Thanks for that. The 9.8A is the previous modeland has no bolt or any other obvious means of adjusting the friction. Its quite stiff and feels like its catching on rubber or something because it has a stiff feel to it. It doesn';t feel like Corrosion though. I can't see how to get to the pivot pin or whatever it is that the motor turns on. Other than that it runs beautifully. Just can't steer it easily. I spoke to my local outboard mechanic and his only sugggestion was to keep moving it and hope it becomes less stiff. I did that and it did seem to help a bit but not much.

Any thoughts you have would be appreciated

Wayne

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Spray a generous amount of W-40 using red noozle where engine rotates against swivel bracket, rotate back and forth spraying until oil penetrates deeply, should loosen more. If not disassembling rotating parts, re oil frecuently.

Happy Boating

badabing

Cadet

there is a very obvious bolt
if you can't see it you must have lost the bolt and the resistance now is corrosion only:p