Remove Lower Unit Nissan 4HP 4stroke

Blackadder

Recruit
2007 engine. I have the manual and need to replace impeller. loosened shift linkage and removed the two bolts under the plate. The lower unit can be rotated a little from side to side but cannot be pulled off, as though there is a linkage not loosened. What is going on ?

Blackadder

Recruit
Re: Remove Lower Unit Nissan 4HP 4stroke

The linkage is completely loose and the connector slides freely, any more and it will fall off. What seems to be locked rigid is the drive shaft from the upper to lower unit.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Then its stuck and you need to pry it apart. It's just the two bolts and the shift coupler that hold it on.

pvanv

Admiral

Wedges can help as well.

Carl V

Cadet

I had the same problem with my 2 stroke 5hp Nissan....I used a heavy screw driver to pry it down and out...then went and serviced the water pump which was a piece of cake. When I tried to replace the lower unit back into the motor it just would not go in...I played with it for about an hour and a half and finally gave up and came here to get some advice...If you succeed in getting it back together and the shaft splines seated please give me any hints you have discovered...thanks, Carl V

Kev_03

Seaman Apprentice

If anyone has any help I this one I would appreciate it. I've a 5hp 4 stroke Tohatsu and I managed to remove the lower unit, but man it will not even nearly go back. I've tried moving the engine in FNR and rotating the fly wheel a bit and nothing is working.

Thanks Guys,

Kev