Honda 45 stalls under load

Sugo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My Honda four stroke runs fine in the driveway but on the water test it dies as soon as I push it past idle (Under Load) My guess is a fuel issue, I cleaned the carbs today did not see any obvious issues. Checked the fuel filter, lines, fuel pick up and changer the plugs. Compression test results were 80/75/80 by just turning the key over. I have read that the compression on 4 strokes are measured at wot, does the motor have to be running on 2 cylinders to check it that way ? Can I test my fuel pump without a pressure tester ? Any answers would help. I want to check as much as I can before I test it again Saturday.

joebob14

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Honda 45 stalls under load

If the engine has a carb it dosnt take much fuel preassure. Realy the fuel pump is just to get the gas from the tank up to the carb and the engine vacume takes over from there so if you pull the line off the carb and it gets fuel when you crank the engine you should be fine there. Have you messed with the mixture screw at all it could be running rich.

Sugo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Honda 45 stalls under load

Thanks for the reply, After doing some troubleshooting I concluded that Carb #1 was not getting any fuel to the cylinder. When I first cleaned it, I placed the float on a piece of Plexiglas I had on my shop table, while it turned out that the residue from the carb cleaner caused a thin film to transfer to the bottom of the float that dislodged in the carb once the fuel hit it. , I soaked it overnight blew it out with my compressor and it solved my issue. I also re-checked the compression with all plugs out, throttle wide open and the compression measured 185/185/185 I can't believe the difference the throttle position makes to the compression reading. I set the mixture screws at 1.5 turns out from closed, I don't know it that is correct but it seems to idle nicely.