Honda water pump

Sugo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just purchased a 1993 45hp Honda 4 stroke. Just fired it up in the driveway, purrs like a kitten but no water coming out the pee hole. I only ran in for about a min. Is there a thermostat that need to come up to temp before water will start coming out the pee hole or might I have a water pump issue? (I am new to Honda 4 stroke motors)

marcortez

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Honda water pump

No on the thermostat needing to come up to temp. It will pee regardless.

Make sure the muffs are positioned properly on the intake ports of the lower unit.
Lots of water shooting out between the muffs and casing are normal, but at times, there is not sufficient water going thru to make it pee......or it's just a weak pee stream.
Gotta get that stream going good....enough to blow dirt off your driveway where it hits.
It is amazing how quickly that pee water will get hot when the flow is not adequate.
Put your hand under the pee stream and feel how warm it is. A good strong flow should be only warm, whereas a weaker stream will be almost hot and you will see puffs of steam.
If you see puffs of steam and the pee water is hot, shut it down. Heat is the dreaded enemy.

I have a 25HP and I am sure it's the same setup as yours.
More often than not, I have to "press" the muffs against the casing to get a good seal so adequate water gets in and up to the water pump/impeller.
Sometimes it pees fine when I release the pressure and sometimes it falls off to a weak stream.

I know it's not a impeller issue because this anomoly happens on a new or used impeller.

I ended up using a muff intended for a Volvo Penta I/O, as it fits tighter and seems to get more water into the inlets, instead of on the ground.

A wild guess would be your muffs are not sealing enough under hose pressure.

Sugo

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Honda water pump

Thanks for the info. It turned out that the impeller was shot, I replaced the impeller, gaskets, plate, seals and housing. It fixed my water issue. I did notice the same thing you mentioned about the muffs, it worked much better once I got them on just right. Took the boat for a water test today, it ran fine in the driveway but in the water it died as soon as the throttle got past idle under load. It started fine again but then the same again during take off. There was some old gas from last season in it so I thinking it might be the carbs, the fuel pump or the fuel filter. (I did flush the tank and am using new gas) The oil is nice and clean. If it is the head gasket would there not be some water in the oil (it is a 4 stroke) ? I guess a compression test should answer that. Any comments are appriciated