honda bf30 4 stroke power issue

brother

Recruit
I have a 2002 honda bf 30 4 stroke tiller w/electric start bought used.It is mated to a 16 ft lund "Mr. pike".The motor has less than 100 hrs. on it. This motor does not seem to reach wot.Top speed with just me on boat is 10 mph.I've changed props and adjusted trim to no avail.I did not hook up a tach so I don't know the rpm's.The older gentleman I purchased from seemed to have the same problem.Maybe thats why he bought a same hp yamaha instead.Sounds like its a mechanical problem.Any ideas what I can do before I take it in? I live around the Buffalo area if anybody know's of a good mechanic. Thanks in advance for any replies,Mike

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: honda bf30 4 stroke power issue

Lund has made many different versions of the Mr Pike. But I have a feeling your motor is way undersized for that boat. See if you can find the max horsepower rating on the name tag. I am suspecting you will find 75 or 90 hp as the max rated horsepower.

I would suspect that the problem you have is that the boat will not get up on plane, especially with it being a tiller and you sitting in the back. You may be able to get a very low pitch prop and get some better improvement.