Nissan Steering Lock??

pnw

Recruit
Is there any way to lock a Nissan kicker (I have a 2010 9.8 20") in the centered position when it is tilted up? This position is optimum for transport on a kicker bracket (which does not have good off-center support). I am looking for an aftermarket method of locking it in the centered position since Nissan doesn't seem to offer any solutions. I'm not sure if the "steering friction adjustment" is quite up to the task in anything but the calmest of water.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Nissan Steering Lock??

In Tohatsu/Nissan land, year of manufacture is not the determining factor; Precise model/serial tells the story. I assume you have an NSF9.8A3. If that's the case, here's the scoop:

If you have the EP version (remote control), regardless of shaft length, your motor will be equipped with the "co-pilot" steering friction lever. This steering friction device works very well to hold the swivel at whatever turn angle you want. You may need to adjust the bolt that sets the friction by a quarter turn to get it to fully lock. We use this technique all the time on sail applications, when we want to steer by the boat's rudder instead of turning the motor.