1993 Nissan 140 Oil Sensor Removed

Topstitcher

Recruit
I acquired a Nissan 140 from a mechanic lein auction. Opened the engine, clean!! However someone pilfered, or removed the oil resevoir from it. Not a big deal, I would rather mix the oil in the fuel. Problem is the engine "thinks" it is out of oil and shuts down. Safety device, I know. Since there is no longer an oil level sensing unit present, and it has been electrically unplugged, how do I tell the Multi-purpose Meter that there is not a problem and keep the engine running? Am I ok to run the two wires which attached to the sensor to each other creating a ground and making the motor think it is full of oil? Or is there something else I can try. Any help would be appreciated. Not made of money and the only certified Nissan Mechanic center is too far away.

Lynn

Last edited:

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: 1993 Nissan 140 Oil Sensor Removed

There is no engine shut down provision so that is not the problem. You are going to have to get the engine into an experienced mechanic who can diagnose what is wrong with the engine.

comanr

Cadet

from as much as i know if you remove the oil level sensor(high impedance) the ECU thinks you have full tank of oil.
check the diaphragm switch for water pressure switch ,you should have zero resistance when you have good amount of pressure .

maybe your impeller is not so good so it doesn't provide water pressure.anyway check the water passages and make a test in a lot of water( use it on the boat).

pvanv

Admiral

Elvin is 100% correct. The oil tank sender only triggers the low oil alarm on these -- it does not force a shutdown. Recommend you get a Factory service manual (from any dealer) and review it -- then proceed, or if you're not comfortable with that, get the motor to a dealer.