5 Horse Tohatsu short to long shaft conversion

ratherhunt

Cadet
Hi,
I have a 2002 5 horse 4 stroke Tohatsu that I want to convert to long shaft, is there a conversion kit available if so what is the part number and can I buy it from a Tohatsu dealer online somewhere.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 5 Horse Tohatsu short to long shaft conversion

It is possible, but not economical. You would need a shift rod, driveshaft, water tube, driveshaft housing, and base gasket. Cost would likely exceed the value of the 8-year-old motor. Any dealer can sell the parts.

Better to swap for what you need or sell the shorty and buy a long unit, unless you find a used long motor with a blown powerhead.

bruce40

Seaman Apprentice

How about an 8hp(NS8B) short to long shaft? I see the kit for the long to x-long conversion, but nothing for short to long.

neon7160

Recruit

Hey,

If the parts are the same, I will make you a trade, or depending on the wear, an engine to engine trade. My engine has about 15 hours on it. Anyway, maybe all we will be out it an atrocious amount in shipping. I have a 2006 6hp 4 stroke Nissan that is either long or extra long shaft. I wish I could be clearer, but someone has a different sort of ruler at Nissan/Tohatsu. From the inside top of the mounting bracket to the bottom of the cavitation plate my motor is 23 1/4" which is not how these things are marketed. Short is marketed as 15", long as 20", and extra long as 25". I would need the exact measurements of yours. I need an actual 15", not marketed as 15" but really 13 1/4", and so may have to get a marketed as 20" and is really 18 1/4". My wife says men measure things this way all the time, but as I pointed out, in this case shorter than promoted will not necessarily lead to satisfaction. Disappointment and won't work at all are two different things.

James

pvanv

Admiral

You have a long shaft.

The nominal 15 (short), 20 (long), and 25 (ultra long) lengths are actually about 2" physically longer on Jap motors. So the physical measurements will be about 17, 22, and 27.

The measurement dimension is from the top of the transom to the antiventilation plate.

You will get even longer field measurements if the transom clamp bracket is tilted.

The OP may well have done a swap or conversion by now, since the date of his post was in February... 1/2 a year ago.