Honda 225 HP 2007 oxygen sensors

Status
Not open for further replies.

unklbuck

Recruit
got twin 225hp Hondas on my 07 260cc everglades. bought boat with 29h on engines.

I have now 500h on the engines and have gone through three oxygen sensors on the starboard engine and on my second on the port.

Anyone know what is going on with this or had similar problems?

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Honda 225 HP 2007 oxygen sensors

being on a flats boat like that,the engines probably sit low in the water...when you come off plane the trailing seas probably get somewhat ingested by the exhaust ports,causing steam in the exhaust and getting "sniffed" by the O2 sensor and confusing it...the O2 sensors seem to only be able to take so much confusion before they "give up" and need replaced...Honda says they need a minimum of 5-1/2" to 6" between exhaust ports and waterline but it still seems to happen anyhow:cool:

unklbuck

Recruit

zz top

thanks for the info
everglades is not a flats boat but will look into this

it seems though that once O2 sensor is replaced, can run ok
and also, why it seems to be the stbd and not port and wouldnt the port experience the same problem as the stbd?

even noticed, after running and then idling down that once and awhile the engine will shut off by itself.

thanks again

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

go to your local Honda dealer and ask to see a copy of Service Bulletin #56...in that bulletin they describe symptoms similar to yours and their fix is to change the exhaust pipes...it only applies to certain serial number ranges...if you care to post your serials I'll check and see if it applies to yours(or send them to me in a PM):cool:

unklbuck

Recruit

admiral zzztop

will get this to you....im in pittsburgh and boat in abacos.
heading down wednesday

really appreciate this

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

spent a few months in the Abacos sailing on a 49 Morgan...what a BLAST !...how 'bout that Whale Key Pass ???:cool:

sumrsalt

Cadet

Unklbuck, query bf225 and you will find all kinds of ox sensor posts. Read mine, "Sumrsalt", and you will get the real picture of Honda marine and their award winning customer support. Sumrsalt.

roboticboredom

Recruit

I would HIGHLY reccomend taking it the dealer and seeing what other codes its throwing on diagnostics software - sometimes the IAC (idle air control) valve being bad can inturn cause your 02 sensor to go repeatedly - i mean sometimes as much as every 10-20 hours. The 02 sensors are ridiculously sensitive to mixtures being thrown off.
Other than that its pretty normal them to go around 400-500 hours.

O2 sensors are kind of just something that goes bad on those unfortunatly - but you can save yourself ALOT of time and money buying or making the special torque socket and repairing yourself - labor costs are ridiculos and its already a 100.00 part :eek:, there was an tech change for the oil pan gasket and exhuast pipes for a2-a5 engines which should only be early 2005 and before 225's - but that was mainly for causing oputboard engine fires and catastrophic failures due to water getting sucked up. The 02 sensor will likely go bad as a result too but you'd be seeing alot of other problems pop up aswell.

Good luck! ! :D

Just incase heres the affected serial numbers for the SB ZZZZ was talkin about.

BAGJ 1000001 ~ 1500324

BAHJ 1000001 ~ 1500022

unklbuck

Recruit

thanks all for the info
just got ack from the abacos and had a good time . we bottomed fished off the everglades and then finally chartered a sporty to try things off grat guana
3 dolphin and 2 hoos.

nice time, but would never get a sporty without underwater exhaust

jafo9

Petty Officer 2nd Class

my copy says december 2006. i just got finished doing the update. hope this fixes my problem.

4stroked

Recruit

Here in Australia Honda has released a service bulletin which is a campaign warranty part for all v6 Honda engines for serial numbers post 1400000~ to upgrade the 02 Sensor with a new model this also entails a new UCU.

Garry

CWolf

Recruit
Thanks to all of you captains that were willing to share your thoughts and experience. I have had the same issue with my twin Honda 225 engines. Is the factory recall still in effect and do they do it for free? That would be to good to be true! The 02 sensor from the dealer is 2 or $300 but you can find the 02 sensor on Amazon and eBay for 10 or 15 bucks any thoughts on that discrepancy. Are they the same? They seem to be working on my motors just fine but how would I know.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Thanks to all of you captains that were willing to share your thoughts and experience. I have had the same issue with my twin Honda 225 engines. Is the factory recall still in effect and do they do it for free? That would be to good to be true! The 02 sensor from the dealer is 2 or $300 but you can find the 02 sensor on Amazon and eBay for 10 or 15 bucks any thoughts on that discrepancy. Are they the same? They seem to be working on my motors just fine but how would I know.
Start a new thread. Over ten years old is too old to reopen.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.