Tohatsu 18 HP Hesitation

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Hola TG, or any other expert that want's to collaborate.

Will need precise tech answers for this one. Have in use a Tootsie 18 HP, 2 strokes engine for the past 3 years. Has been receiving excellent 100 hours services and cared for properly. On last 300 hour service have changed tail oil, plugs, stripped clean carb with spray carb cleaner, wanted to remove thermostat to have a look at it's condidion, probably clean salt incrustations if any, but not having at hand the thermostat gasket preffered no to, because will need to remove stuck gasket to remove thermostat. This gasket is very thin and delicate and with long use breaks very easily once removed. So it's a must have item in stock. In my case out of this part, have ordered some to stock.

The engine is usually warmed for 5 minutes at neutral/idle, when opening to 3/4 or full throttle to plane fast, the engine hesitates, brrr, brrr for some 3-5 seconds and bang she goes perfect, the same happens if trolling for 15minutes at start throttle position, hesitates, brrr, brrr shortly and then goes perfect again. My gas/oil ratio is 50:1, plugs adjusted to 1.00 mm tight gap. The engine is used year round, with engine on and fuel hose disconnected, gives a 5 minutes water flush, until engine drops dead.

Have read in one of your posts, that when cleaning carburator parts you must not remove the air/gas mix screw, just dip the upper carb part in cleaning formula for some time or skirt carb cleaner spray with plastic nozzle in every hole, passages, whatever.

On last 300 hour service have not remove this screw as personally like to maintain factory settings, on the other hand have not taken out the thermostat to have a look if working properly as it should. At least opens/closes correctly when judging by hand temp differences of rear exiting water. Would like to know if this small prob is because engine is not sufficiently warm up, have a carb or thermostat issue, or a combination of temp/carb/thermostat issues.

If removing the mix crew from carb body, is it possible to clean well just by squirting carb cleaner through screw hole, or must remove complete carb again and strip clean from inside too, if opting to remove the thermostat, is it secure to put a thin layer of gasket maker where once gasket existed untill part is availble ? What are your thoughts, recommendations ?

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tohatsu 18 HP Hesitation

As a comment

Air needle was removed, was found with carbon deposits on tip, cleaned with carb cleaner including cleaner squirts in air passage. You should clean all carb parts from time to time for engine to perform well. Measure air needle height before removing with a vernier tool, put back to specs.

Thermostat was removed, salt crusts were found, not a critical issue, was dipped in pure vinegar for 5 minutes and brushed away with an old toothbursh, now impecable. Mega gray silicone was used to seal thermostat housing untill gasket arrives. With both issues corrected, engine now performing at it's best, alleluya!! :D

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

"just dip the upper carb part in cleaning formula for some time or skirt carb cleaner spray with plastic nozzle in every hole, passages, whatever."

Actually dip all of the carb body and metallic parts in carb cleaner for three hours. Spray cleaners are so mild as to be useless most of the time...They are great to use as part of a preventive maintenance program , but a waste of time to clean a fouled carburetor.

pvanv

Admiral

Agree completely with Elvin on this one -- and your work proves out the solution.

Typically, off-idle stumble is caused by a slight lean-out condition during the transition from idle to power. Once upon a time, timing synchronization (late spark advance vs throttle position) could contribute to this, but with modern electronic ignition, the timing stays very accurate, so that is seldom, if ever an issue on current motors.

In your case, it would appear that there was a little accumulation near the mixture screw and passage. If you had originally done a thorough soaking, that would have likely dissolved it. Since it was a minor restriction, the spray cleaner was adequate.

We see this problem a lot more lately, with the newer 4-strokes, since they run much leaner, and have much smaller passages, which get clogged easier, especially with today's lower-quality, varnish-prone US fuels.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

"just dip the upper carb part in cleaning formula for some time or skirt carb cleaner spray with plastic nozzle in every hole, passages, whatever."

Actually dip all of the carb body and metallic parts in carb cleaner for three hours. Spray cleaners are so mild as to be useless most of the time...They are great to use as part of a preventive maintenance program , but a waste of time to clean a fouled carburetor.

On the previous cleanning, soaking the upper part in formula did not cleaned the air screw tip at all which was sitting inside carb, last time needle was removed and properly cleaned, air passage skirted with carb cleaner using the plastic noozle as stated by TG. This needle has never been removed as I like to keep carb factory settings, but with continuous use needed a good clean. One practice that has proven excellent to maintain clean 2 strokes carbs, is to consume all fuel after use until engine dies, specially in non constat uses.

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

"using the plastic noozle as stated by TG"

When have I ever said that?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

"using the plastic noozle as stated by TG"

When have I ever said that?

Quote:

"just dip the upper carb part in cleaning formula for some time or skirt carb cleaner spray with plastic nozzle in every hole, passages, whatever." :D

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

That wasn't me....I was quoting your post earlier. Hence my quotation marks. I don't believe in sprays cleaners and recommend against them.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

That wasn't me....I was quoting your post earlier. Hence my quotation marks. I don't believe in sprays cleaners and recommend against them.

OK TG, if the carb is not heavily fouled, spray cleaners with noozles works ok, if heavily fouled then soaking in carb cleaner will be a must, happily solved my hesitation issue.

Happy Boating

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

I ran my nissan 18 for 8 years and it never saw a dealer.
I noticed during the first couple of years that it would idle rougher when I
was not using a fuel stabilizer, and that it would improve when I added a
fuel stabilizer. I changed the lubes and plugs, and that was it for preventive
maintenance. I think engines should come with a factory statement
to use fuel stabilizers with them at all times. Very fine machine that runs
great with superb mileage.
:)

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

You do realize that fuel stabilizes have no effect on how an engine runs? They only stabilize fuel.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

I ran my nissan 18 for 8 years and it never saw a dealer.
I noticed during the first couple of years that it would idle rougher when I
was not using a fuel stabilizer, and that it would improve when I added a
fuel stabilizer. I changed the lubes and plugs, and that was it for preventive
maintenance. I think engines should come with a factory statement
to use fuel stabilizers with them at all times. Very fine machine that runs
great with superb mileage.

Your 18 has never visited a dealer, assume you have done complete carb clean maintenances in those 8 years, right ? If not, a good carb clean is a must so as to run like when out of the box. Plainly agree with you, a super fine water machine.

Happy Boating

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer

Well, I am suggesting that ongoing use of fuel stabilizer has 2 effects.
The first is to stabilize the fuel. The second is an after-effect of the first,
in that the stabilization process also helps greatly to reduce varnish and
sludge build-up in the entire fuel system.

:rolleyes:

I have not ever cleaned a carb on anything, and think that the use of fuel
stabilizer has something to do with that. I have not ever had to have a carb
cleaned or rebuilt, either, and I have had many a motor, including lawn
mowers.

I also think that Stabile works just as good as Seafoam for all practical
purposes. But here, I am probably getting in over my head, because I am not an engineer, and I can't provide statistics for any of my inductions.

Keep 'em running, that's what counts!

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Your best bet is to run or drain the carb dry after every use. Varnish is caused by the evaporation of the lighter elements of the fuel and unfortunately, stabilizer will not prevent that....There are some products that do advertise that they can help prevent evaporation. Unfortunately they do so by forming a film on the surface of the fuel. In a tank that is relatively harmless. However, in a carburetor fuel bowl, the wax like film can harden adding to the clogged jet problem. So, unless you have a lot of fuel that you can't bear to pour into your car, stabilizer is an additional expense that provides marginal results. Individual experience may of course vary and I do find myself at odds with some fellow techs that I respect:) But, they are a lot younger than me:)

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

What TG states is true, varnish is the main problem. Won't damage anything claeaning a carb well, (measure mix screw height before removing from body, as to place back as it was before), will gain in better idle and performance, give it a try :D

Happy Boating