Marine tex vs fuel question

Thumbtack

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I didn't know where to ask this but since it is a tohatsu carb i am working on i figured i would put it here.

The main nozzle in the carb broke but in a way that I can marine tex it back together fine. I can't find the nozzle anywhere as it is an ancient engine and would most likely have to buy the carb to fix it. I'm asking if anyone knows if marine tex will hold up in fuel over time.

robert graham

Admiral
Re: Marine tex vs fuel question

If you can't find the nozzle, then how are you going to Marinetex it back? I'm not sure what the nozzle looks like or the location in the carb but maybe brazing it back would be better. Good Luck!

Thumbtack

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I have the broken nozzle and am planning on putting that back, when I said I can't find the nozzle I meant I couldn't find a new nozzle. I already marine texed it though before I read your suggestion so I guess I'll just have to see. I was just wondering if anyone would know so I know not to waste my time.

robert graham

Admiral

I'm not familiar with the Marinetex, but if it's an epoxy type similar to the JB Weld, I wouldn't really want to trust it emersed in gasoline all the time. If your carb is very old and very small maybe take it and the "nozzle" to your local jeweler and let him take a look at brazing or soldering it back. Just an idea and good luck!