30HP Nissan Power Pack Problem

I recently bought a boat with a 30HP nissan that is not running (only getting spark to one cylinder). The motor I am speaking of is a 1992, 30HP Nissan 2-stroke (Model #NS30A3). The compression on the motor is 145 in both cylinders. The power pack that was on my 1992, 30HP nissan 2-stroke (a CDI unit and was dated sometime in 2008) is bad. The stator has been tested and is in good shape and has no burn marks or melting (was tested with a meter).

I bought a used power pack that was for a 1992, 50HP nissan 2stroke and placed it on my motor (all the wires were the same color, just different connector ends). The motor ran on both cylinders for a very short time and I could not restart it (now it is not sparking for either cylinder). What can be causing my problem, could the power pack I bought used be bad or is there something else?????? Any response would be greatly appreciated.

ziton

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 30HP Nissan Power Pack Problem

Sounds like a short to me. I have a 84 15hp rude. It would run for a a little bit till it got warmed up then it wouldn't fire. I replaced the trigger, it only had a wore place in the wire which shorted when it got hot but didn't when cold. Just a guess. I have 2# 30HP Nissan 2-stroke (Model #NS30A3). But have no experience with them. I'm converting one to long shaft.
ziton

wouldnt by any chance have a power pack for sale? I am going to check the trigger wire, someone else locally told me about that. I appreciate the response.

ziton

Seaman Apprentice

dont know about the power pack. i just got the motors. ones like new the other is for parts.
i believe u have short

wouldnt by any chance have a power pack for sale? I am going to check the trigger wire, someone else locally told me about that. I appreciate the response.

If you have the power pack on your parts motor would you be willing to sell it? I cannot find another one locally or online. Thanks.

Found out it is not a short, looks like it is definately the power pack by the way.

pvanv

Admiral

You can always swap the old CD unit in, and see if you get the same original symptoms (one cylinder only), to determine whether the 50 hp CD unit is faulty.

It does not matter which cylinder gets which spark plug lead, BTW, since it is a 2-stroke 2-cylinder -- and both cylinders have "wasted spark" whereby they fire on both compression and exhaust strokes, so you could verify beyond a shadow of a doubt that you have a half-dead CD box by swapping the plug leads from one cylinder to the other, as long as the cables are adequate length, which they usually are.