only runs hi rpm with choke honda 25 hp

steely51

Seaman Apprentice
I have a honda 25, 4 stroke, 1998, it only runs out with about 3/4 choke.
I suspect clogged jets. any other ideas? if it's the jets can I pull the three carbs , and clean and reinstall without comprimising the settings? thanks

robert graham

Admiral
Re: only runs hi rpm with choke honda 25 hp

Sounds for sure like a lean fuel mixture and choking it compensates by enrichening the mixture. Remove and clean carbs one at a time to leave settings alone. Good luck!

jayceebaik

Recruit

hi
check your fuel filter( white plastic) and fuel tank. make sure they are clean.
replace as necessary .
you may have same problem again. if they are dirty or old gummy fuel.

clean all 3 carbs and replace o rings and jet sets.. and sync the carbs
if it is possible..it is knid hard to sync them without special tool..
anyway, good luck
jaycee

trendsetter240

Lieutenant

I have a honda 25, 4 stroke, 1998, it only runs out with about 3/4 choke.
I suspect clogged jets. any other ideas? if it's the jets can I pull the three carbs , and clean and reinstall without comprimising the settings? thanks

To help diagnose, start the motor with the 3/4 choke setting. While it's idling spray some carb cleaner into each carb, starting at the top. If the motor bogs down and dies while spraying carb cleaner in then that carb is working as expected. If the motor revs up then that carb is not getting fuel.

Another test is to remove the float bowls one at a time. If each float bowl is full then you have clogged jets. If one or more is empty then then you may have stuck floats or clogged fuel lines.

Ultimately you will need to remove and clean/overhaul one or all of the carbs. Might as well do all of them while you are at it.

Cheers!