Year and advice on Honda B100

greggl

Recruit
I just bought an old Honda B100-1012396 that looks like its in good shape. Can someone tell me the year built. It hasnt been run in 2-3 years. Any advice on what to check/change before I try to start it up? Had to buy without being able to start it so I took a chance. Paid $250 with original Honda gas tank with tool kit and spare oil built in. Also, new to outboards, how do I know if its a short or long shaft? Thanks in advance for any help.

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Year and advice on Honda B100

Pretty sure that it is a pre 1997 motor.

If it has not been started in awhile and you just want to see if it will run, I would drain any old fuel that might be in the tank and start with fresh fuel. See if the flywheel turns freely. You can take out the spark plugs and squirt a little oil in the holes and also turn the flywheel to loosen things up. New spark plugs would not hurt but might not be necessary. Eventually you will need to change the lower unit oil. You might as well do that now and see how the oil looks. Put in some fresh fuel and then give it a try. A common problem might be the need to rebuild the carburetor especially if the motor was stored with fuel in the carburetor. Here is a link from an OMC post that is more comprehensive: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=158086

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class

And 4 stroke motors need to have the oil and filter changed. That might be advisable before you start it up.

zzzzz

Lieutenant Junior Grade

? blue and white in color ?...the number tells me that's a 1978...to determine the shaft length-measure from where the transom bracket would sit on the boat down to the cavitation plate...a short (15") will measure about 17"...a long (20") will measure about 22" and an XL about 27" :cool:

greggl

Recruit

Thanks for all the advice and the year. Sounds right. I wont know how badly I overpaid until I can try to start it up.