Honda 130hp Lower Unit Drive shaft

offishn

Recruit
Ok, Here goes. I have a 2004 130hp with both a Jet pump lower unit and a Prop lower unit. The pump has been on since I bought it about ayear ago. And today I changed the lower unit out to the Prop. Before inserting the drive shaft of the Prop lower unit I tried to turn it with my hands and it was very stiff, almost could not spin it. It was in neutral because I could spin the output shaft freely, and when I put it it to gear I could not spin it at all. But when in neatral the drive shaft was very hard to spin as stated before. Any way after connecting every thing I took it to the river and when I start it there is a loud Whin when in neutral or in gear. Is this normal :confused: I did check all lower gear case oil befor taking it to the river. Should this shaft be free to turn when the lower unit is off.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Honda 130hp Lower Unit Drive shaft

That gearcase will be a little stiff to spin with the waterpump installed in either application.These are ordinarally quiet gearcases,but we are not there hearing what your hearing.A LOUD whine is certainly not normal.

art white

Recruit
Re: Honda 130hp Lower Unit Drive shaft

I have a honda 130 1999 ran out of oil in lower unit .top bearing below water pump went out what special tool is needed to take retainer out to replace top bearing thank you ART