tohatsu 90hp prop shaft removal

rcl700

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What will it take to remove the prop shaft from a 2004 tohatsu 90hp?

I believe that the shaft is bent. when spinning the prop it looks as tho the nut is moving up and down and the lower unit is getting water in it.
the motor is currently on a stand in my garage.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: tohatsu 90hp prop shaft removal

Review the parts catalog with exploded diagrams at http://www.internetoutboards.com/PartsCatalogMenu.htm

A Factory service manual wouldn't hurt. You'll want a new prop shaft, seal for it, and a little time to change it all out. Use care in disassembly, so you don't lose the push rod for the shifter, and its associated bits.

If the impeller hasn't been done on this 5 year old motor, you may want to drop the LU, do all the seals, and throw in a wp kit as well.

rcl700

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I will be getting a manual before I start taking apart from the dealer.

Will the dealers be better or an aftermarket repair book be better?

Is there aftermarket shafts avalable or only a dealer part?

And lastly what other years / hp lower units will fit this motor??

Thanks for the help.

pvanv

Admiral

The Factory service manual, available from any dealer is usually the best. I don't know of any aftermarket shafts for these, and as a dealer we use Factory parts.

Year of manufacture is not the key to these, the exact model and serial number is, so you want to go by that. The part numbers will cross-reference. In other words, if motor A uses the same shaft as motor B, they will show the same part number in the parts catalogs.

rcl700

Petty Officer 2nd Class

ok I got the prop shaft out and the lower unit removed. I took the prop shaft to a machine shop today to see if ti was bent. Well it was:(
so now in on the hunt for a prop shaft for my motor.The local guy is telling me $275. wow:eek: I hope I can find a better deal then that.

2004 tohatsu
MD90B

Attachments

• tohatsu 2.jpg
    tohatsu 2.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 0
  • tohatsu 1.jpg
    tohatsu 1.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 0

rcl700

Petty Officer 2nd Class

OK I got the prop shaft out and the lower unit removed. I took the prop shaft to a machine shop today to see if ti was bent. Well it was:(
so now in on the hunt for a prop shaft for my motor.The local guy is telling me $275. wow:eek: I hope I can find a better deal then that.

2004 tohatsu
MD90B

I will also have to find a prop for this motor now. the one I removed was beat up! The back inside part of it looked like a bomb went off in there. It all came off as one price thow.
The Numbers on the prop are:
A8 7734T 45 13P

I HAVE NO CLEW WHAT ALL THIS MEANS
The motor came off of a much heavier pontoon then the one that it is going to be put on so I don't know it I should get the same size?

Came off of a 20ft fiberglass tank of a pontoon
Going on a 18ft aluminum pontoon

WHat do you think?
Whats the deal with four blade props?

pvanv

Admiral

That price seems off. According to the factory, you need
3C8642110M PROP SHAFT $178.50

Sounds like your prop is 13 pitch. See the Prop selector guide at
http://www.tohatsu.com/accessories/prop.html

In general, more pitch is for higher top end, while lower pitch is for hole shot. There are some non-factory 4-blade props available for that motor that of course have a lot more swept blade area, which can be useful in very low speed, high thrust applications.

See what the boat manufacturer's recommendations were, and see if there is a horsepower placard on the boat. Then you can also check the prop forum on iBoats as well.

rcl700

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Can you order the prop shaft at that price?

I call 3 local shops only one called me back with a price. I guess they don't want my bussiness.

I can get the serial # if neededto check part #.

Thanks
Ryan.

pvanv

Admiral

You need to confirm precise model (and serial) and then any Tohatsu/Nissan dealer can order the shaft for you.