Convert Honda BF9 to electric start

blackfoot1

Recruit
I have heard that you can convert the manual start honda 9.9 to eletric start. Probably not cheap, but less expensive than buying new. Does anyone have information as to what parts are involved and/or directions as to the conversion?
Thanks!

JIM MCCARTHY

Seaman
Re: Convert Honda BF9 to electric start

I Converted A 15 Hp Honda (the Square Hood Style) To Electric Start Last Year. Works Great. I Bought A 9.9 Hp Parts Engine Which Had All The Starting Components And Put Them On The 15. They Are Essentially The Same Engine And With Respect To The Electric Start Compenents, They Are The Same. You Need To Replace The Flywheel, Add The Charging Coil Under The Flywheel, Add The Starter And Start Button, The Regulator And The Battery Cables. When I Was Done, I Started Looking Closer At The Parts Engine Which I Then Cleaned Up, Put An Impeller In And Now I Have Two Operable Engines. It's Well Worth Doing, But The Only Economical Way To Do It Is To Get A Parts Engine. Honda Will Kill You If You Buy New Parts From Them. Look For Either A 9.9 Or 15 Hp Engine And When You Find One You're In Business.