Honda 4-stroke 90HP carb issue-starving for fuel

stephie

Recruit
Desperately need some help. My engine absolutely starves at mid-range rpm's, between around 1200-2200. Idling under 10 or 1100 or running it full out is ok, but in that throttle range it sounds like it's missing and not getting fuel. I had the carbs cleaned and both fuel pumps replaced. It can't be a gas issue, because it only does it in that range. Anyone else have or solve this problem?!!

Last edited:

psteurer

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Honda 4-stroke 90HP carb issue-starving for fuel

Not sure of this one, but most carburetors have 3 circuits. These are an idle circuit, intermediate circuit, and high speed circuit. I would suspect something is clogged in one of the carbs intermediate circuit. Do you have a manual for this motor?

As a quick fix, you could try running Sea Foam in your gas. Run about 1-2 oz per gallon of fuel. If it is a small piece of crude, Sea Foam might dissolve it. Also, if the motor sits for 2-3 weeks without running, it is best to drain the carburetors of fuel. Honda carbs have very small passages and they are very easy to clog.

stephie

Recruit

Not sure of this one, but most carburetors have 3 circuits. These are an idle circuit, intermediate circuit, and high speed circuit. I would suspect something is clogged in one of the carbs intermediate circuit. Do you have a manual for this motor?

As a quick fix, you could try running Sea Foam in your gas. Run about 1-2 oz per gallon of fuel. If it is a small piece of crude, Sea Foam might dissolve it. Also, if the motor sits for 2-3 weeks without running, it is best to drain the carburetors of fuel. Honda carbs have very small passages and they are very easy to clog.
Thank you so much...

The intermediate/ transition ports in the carb could be the problem, as stated above. After the carbs have been cleaned and reinstalled they must be placed on a sync gauge and synchronized for proper off idle operation, make sure you're mechanic did this.

Ben
Browning Marine Service - FL
browningmarine@yahoo.com