Honda 1984 7.5 Outboard running problems

FredEK

Recruit
Hi, I have a great shape Honda 7.5 which gave me problems after a warm up run and quit on me and I had to be towed back. I have clean, taken apart, the carburtor, which is 2 years old, twice now. Clean the small inline filter at the fuel diaphram pump and have change the plugs numerous times. It will fire up and run good cold and when it warms up it will miss and back fire and than shut down after awhile and I can't get it started until it cools. I am in Texas so a cool day it runs longer but still misses and back fires when it been running a few minutes and will still shut down eventually when it has been running. The gas and lines are new and the way it acts I wonder if it might be the coil or cdi unit when it warms up. The plugs are black when taken them out and when it quits it is very hard to pull as if it is flooded in the cylinder. Thanks for any advice

Nick on the Bad Habit

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Honda 1984 7.5 Outboard running problems

Black plugs mean the motor is running too rich. Try adjusting the air fuel mixture screw clockwise to lean the mixture out a little at a time.

hondon

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Honda 1984 7.5 Outboard running problems

Try running this engine with the cover off.If the problem go'es away you have an exhaust leak at the horn under the cylinder head.A very common failure.Compression numbers would also be nice to know as leaking cylinders could cause these exact symptoms.