Honda 15 starting, Full choke with hand only

russellmead10

Recruit
I have a '97 Honda BF15 elec start. Had been sitting for many years under another owner but sort of ran. Cleaned carb, oil changes, fresh impeller. Starts, but not easily at first. Idles ok. To get it to start initially no amount of cranking with the choke on or jumping on the primer bulb works. I have to cover the carb intake with my hand while cranking for 2-3 seconds, then it fires right up. After initial start it will restart with the normal choke like it should (no choke once warm). I can tear the carb down again, but I fully disassembled it, used lots of aersol cleaner and got it pretty darn clean (little varnish, only place found issue was blocked idle jet). Any ideas, other than building a full blockoff butterfly for the chock instead of the 3/4 that's normal/OEM?

Fuel pump seems ok, no stuck valves, will just about suck my finger up the fuel line when turn engine over w/o running it

Other problem? Haven't had a 4 stroke before so not sure if this is common. When I crank the throttle open fairly quickly it tends to die on me. If I'm slower with the throttle it runs up fine. This is in a barrel in back yard, in gear but with no prop, so maybe load makes difference. Feels like an inboard with a bad accelerator pump on the carb, but as small outboards don't have one not sure if there's a carb issue still or that's just how these run.

Thanks for any ideas

walt-oxie1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Honda 15 starting, Full choke with hand only

There is a small tube that runs through the opening on the carb. It needs to be removed and cleaned out with a piece of small wire or a torch tip cleaner. Unfortunately, spray cleaners will not work. Here is more info on it: http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=344046

gss036

Commander

Once you manage to get it running, add a very strong does of SeaFoam to the gas. This stuff does wonders for cleaning those extremely small passages as the do clog real easy.

russellmead10

Recruit

Believer it or not, had actually pulled that tube (#11 below) mostly out of initial curiosity. Just pulled again, and holes top and bottom clear (top more of a jet than a hole). Going to clean all passages I can get to with spray can straw just incase, then reassemble and add lots of seafoam and see what happens.

MISSING PART? Can anyone confirm or deny existence of part #12 in diagram in link below (honda #16166-ZV4-005) NOZZLE, MAIN. It appears I don't have one of those in this carb! Remove flat screwdriver'd plug (#8) and removed and cleaned tube (#11) that ran through carb. Lots of empty space inside vertical passageway/tube part of carb casting, only see silver casting, no removeable silver or brass part like #12.

Diagram With Description:
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/H... JPN, VIN# BAAL-1200001/CARBURETOR/parts.html

Plain Diagram:
http://www.boats.net/_search/images/parts_honda/2414ZV40ZV44E1400.png

Wouldn't surprise me if goof who owned the thing before me lost part over the side while cleaning years ago, and it mostly ran so didn't care...

walt-oxie1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Part #12 is there on all my Honda motors. If it is missing, that could be the problem. Have you also checked for vacuum leaks?