How to Replace Honda 8hp Impeller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AJS

Recruit
I have a 2000 Honda 8hp 4-stroke outboard with yet another bad impeller. Found that it wasn't flowing any water when out on my first steelhead trip of the year. I don't have a manual - are instructions available on how to replace this, or is it another trip to the mechanic?

gss036

Commander
Re: How to Replace Honda 8hp Impeller?

Do a search here, pretty straight forward job with a little instruction. Have you ever changed a water pump impeller? If so they are all about the same, the only differences if the shift shaft separation. On the Honda, place in reverses and loosen the small jamb nut(just enough to loosen it) about 1/2 down the leg, you will see it. Then back off the long nut, keep track of the turns so you can put it back in the same position.
Look at the bottom of the tread, there a couple of threads there.

AJS

Recruit

Great. I read some previous threads on this, but wasn't sure how close the 8hp was to the larger engine impeller replacements I found. I've never done this, but it seems like it should be straightforward.

On the positive, I found that the output line was packed with snails or something. I could only clear it with a coat hanger wire. Seems to be better, but I plan on replacing the impeller so I don't have any more ruined fishing days.

Thanks for the help.

gss036

Commander

If the line is clogged w/mud dobber mess, you need to disconnect it and clean it out from both ends. That is pretty common complaint.

fish hard 10

Recruit

I am about to change the impeller in my 1989 honda 8hp 4 stroke and was wondering if it is like the one described here. Also was wonding if anyone new if I was going to need gaskets?

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

That vintage engine gets a little more interesting when it comes to pulling down that gearcase.Some diassembly is required at the powerhead end of the shiftshaft.It's been explained here ,but if you need further help,here we are.

Dockster25

Recruit

That vintage engine gets a little more interesting when it comes to pulling down that gearcase.Some diassembly is required at the powerhead end of the shiftshaft.It's been explained here ,but if you need further help,here we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.