honda 225 2004

lgbass33

Recruit
Hello all, i have a question about my motor.it has 150 hrs on it i was fishing one day spot to spot when i tried to start it it choked and died like a dead battery , but restarted the next turn of the key w/a new addition of a tinny knock ,being a tech it sounded like a rod knock or something.had the repair shop look at it and they said it needed a powerhead.big fight with triton is another story, but the engine in the next 10 hrs threw a rod out the bottom cylinder,the boat repair place said it could have taken water into the exhaustof the rear of the motor because the engine sits to low on the back of the boat,has anyone heard of this problem,and does anyone have a fix for this . I will make a snorkel for the back if i have to.:confused:

gss036

Commander
Re: honda 225 2004

Do a search here on GOOGLE, I think you will find that is common when the installer installer puts the engine "TOO LOW" on the transom. I think there is at least one thread here that had that covered, probably about 2 years ago.

sumrsalt

Cadet

IGBASS33, Welcome to the club. You will find that Honda knew of the water ingestion problem with your motor well before you ever purchased it. Search bf225 on this forum and Marine engine's also. My saga is under "sumrsalt", care to join me in a lawsuit..

cstenberg

Recruit

I too had a problem with my honda 225. The spark plugs became seized in the block and broke off while trying to replace them. I was told that salt water must have enterd thru the exhaust but I could not get warranty coverage from Honda.

iang

Seaman Apprentice

All Honda outboards must have the exhaust idle port 6 inches above the waterline with boat fully loaded,it is stated in the fit up instructions and it is the responsibility of the installer to make sure this is followed.If it is not possible to do this,then the boat design does not suit the application.

sumrsalt

Cadet

In August of 2002 I purchased a Bf225 with a 20" shaft to re-power my Grady-White. The 6" above the waterline came to light years later, I guess Honda thinks we should have read their minds. I lost $15,000 on that bf225 and that hurt. My question to you would be, what boat would that engine have worked on, is there such a craft? Sumrsalt.

lgbass33

Recruit

Thanks Everyone ,looks Like Triton And Honda Will Be Hearing From Me.again!!! Looks Like I Will Be Making A Snorkel Set Up For It.

sumrsalt

Cadet

LgBass33, I thought about a snorkel setup and found Stan's Headers of Washington state. Look up his website, true works of art, if anyone could do a good job it looks like he would be the man. I got too disgusted with the whole situation and just did not trust the bf225 enough to go offshore anymore. Good luck. Sumrsalt..