1985 Honda 2.0hp 4 Stroke Needs Impeller: Oil Change

qz5kbk

Cadet
My father recently passed away, and left me with a 1985 Honda 2.0hp 4-Stroke that needs a impeller. I am mechanicanically inclinded, but not really familiar with outboard motors. Is the impeller located in the lower tail section of the barrel? Is it easy to replace.

Also I would like to change the oil, and can't find the oil drain plug? I was going to remove the bolt closest to the Fill Hole to see if that was the drain, but figured I'd post here before I did anything.

Its hard working on something your not familiar with, espically without a manual.

The motor was also hard to start and it may be due to lack of use, and stale gas (which I have drained).

Any help would be appreciated.

qz5kbk

Cadet
Re: 1985 Honda 2.0hp 4 Stroke Needs Impeller: Oil Change

I know it may sound like a stupid question, but to change the oil do I just need to tip the motor over and drain the oil from the fill tube? It's light enough to do, but I just thought that there would be a drain plug.

Any help on the impeller would also be appreciated.

Tig

Chief Petty Officer

Condolences on the loss of your father qz.
I am not familiar with your engine but try here for an owners manual. There should be some routine maintenance info in there. If not parts diagrams can be found here.
Factory maintenance manuals here.
Also, I hear good things about Seafoam for cleaning carburetors that are gummed up with bad gas.
I hope this helps.

qz5kbk

Cadet

I am not familiar with your engine but try here for an owners manual. There should be some routine maintenance info in there. If not parts diagrams can be found here.
Also, I hear good things about Seafoam for cleaning carburetors that are gummed up with bad gas.
I hope this helps.

Thank you for the condolences and for the advice. I reviewed the links you suggested and they all helped. I've used Seafoam before and plan on running it thru this motor once I change the oil and check the impeller. I'm hopping that this is all I will need to do.
Thanks again

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

Condolences on your loss as well.The things that they enjoyed take on a certain importance when they are gone.At least that's how it was for me.That water pump is easy but the parts may be difficult to find as Honda only watercooled that exhaust housing for a few years.That is all that waterpump do'es is cool the exhaust housing.The rest of the engine is air cooled.You will need to stand this engine on it's head to change the oil.Be carefull of overfilling as that is easy to do.Holds less than a pint bone dry and creates a mess if overfilled.Go really slow and watch the sight glass.Good luck to you.

qz5kbk

Cadet

Thanks Hondon for the condolence, and your reply. I agree with your comment and that is why I would like to get this motor running again so I can keep it as a rememberence of him.

I also appreciate the tip on the oil change. I thought it was strange that the motor didn't have a drain plug, but then again it's light enough to tip over and drain by gravity. I've always had good luck with Honda motors, but the ones I've owned, had the drain plug in stops where it was difficult to drain without making a mess.

Since that water pump only is used to cool the exhaust housing, and the engine is air cooled, do you think it would cause major problems if I ran the motor without replacing the impeller? I suppose it?s there for a reason. Just a thought??I?ll do my best to find out regardless.
Thanks for your response.

qz5kbk

Cadet

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the websites. Great information!