Tohatsu 2 stroke 3.5 stalls in gear

Miketohatsu

Recruit
Hi,

The engine starts great and idles strong. When put in gear - forward or reverse, it stalls. If I am very careful, I can nurse it to barely headway speed.

I've had this problem before and it seemed to be related to the no-kick-back reverse safety mechanism.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu 2 stroke 3.5 stalls in gear

If the idle is correct (it has to be over 1200 in neutral for a decent in-gear idle), and the carb is correctly sealed to the motor (the band at the aft side of the carb) then you likely need to clean the idle passages in the carb. If this has always happened, since new, there may be a defect in the carb casting itself, calling for a new carb.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

In idle/neutral, the engine must be around 1300 rpm and 1100 when in gear, if the engine stalls in gear try to adjust the idle speed screw located at the left side cover near carb (will see a small empty screw hole with small screw way back) turn screw 15 ? clockwise (adjust as required) to rise a bit idle speed. Will see water peeing more constant (not bubbling) it's normal while connecting gear to hear a small clak sound, if sound is very light, you have a very low idle adjustment. Adjust enough so engine doesn't stall when in gear.

If this adjustment doesn't clear the issue, check what Pvany states, adjust carb band screw, clean tank interior, gas filter & carb interior passages. Would be a real pitty to hava a carb with cast problems. :mad:

Is this engine of recent production, how old is it ?

Happy Boating

Miketohatsu

Recruit

Sea Rider and Paul,

Thanks very much for you thoughtful responses. I'll follow these direction on the weekend and will let you know how it goes.

The engine was purchased used and must be 10-15 years old.

Thanks,
Mike