tohatsu 40hp looses power at high speed

livdogred

Cadet
my tohatsu 40hp was running perfectly as always and had no trouble for 3 years but suddenly as i was cruising at high speed about 4 refs the motor started to splutter and looses po:confused:wer until it stopped.I started it again and it fired and run normally an low refs but when i encrease the trottle it losses power.What might be the problem please help thanks.

pvanv

Admiral
Re: tohatsu 40hp looses power at high speed

What is your model?

panamadaniel

Recruit

I have a M40D2 with the same problem. Motor starts, idles, and works great. When I put it in the tank the backpressure slows the idle but it'll stay on. The second I put it in gear, it dies. No power. Nothing. It cranks, sounds great as long as it stays in neutral, and then quits the second I put it in gear. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

pvanv

Admiral

Sounds like this is a different problem from the year-old original post, and should probably be a new thread.

Could be almost anything -- from a fuel issue to even a bad bearing in the LU. Time to drag out the Factory service manual and start by going through the 3 basic systems: Fuel, Ignition, and Mechanical.