Tohatsu 5hp year and cooling question

MomentSurf

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,
I have a 5hp 2-stroke Mod # M5B-369 / Serial # 16565...any idea of he year?

Also, I think I'm having a cooling issue. I ran the engine and noticed it got very hot with no sign of a telltale anywhere. I'm not exactly sure where the telltale even is...it looks like there are two holes about halfway down the shaft that exhuast come out of when its running, is that where the water is supposed to be peeing from? I didn't see any other spots where it could possible pee from. The intake is above the propeller. Also, does this model have a thermostat? Maybe that could be the problem...and idea of where its located, maybe its just seized shut.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu 5hp year and cooling question

Manufacturing year is not important on these. It's from some time around 2003 or so. The model info is what is needed, as models do span years.

You can find a parts catalog at http://www.internetoutboards.com/PartsCatalogMenu.htm and a service manual is available at any Tohatsu dealer.

The telltale is on the underside of the powerhead, and will operate regardless of whether the thermostat is working; it's only a sign of cooling system pressurization. The motor can be cooling correctly even without telltale flowing. There is also a drain plug in the same area. It accepts a 13 mm wrench. This can be removed to flush crud from the incoming water jacket. They do corrode in place, so be careful if removing it.

That said, you likely have an impeller issue. Water pump kits and bare impellers are available at any Tohatsu/Nissan dealer. The water pump is in the classic location, on top of the LU. There are 2 fasteners to pull; the forward one tales a 10 mm wrench, and the aft bolt takes a 13 mm wrench.

MomentSurf

Seaman Apprentice

I can't believe I could have missed it. I looked several times and all I saw were about 6 holes to drain the bottom of the engine cover. I did not see any telltale or even a hose leading to a tell tale under the cover. I'll look again, and I'll look for the clean out plug as well. Thanks so much for the help!!

Does the telltale stream water into the engine case and then drain out the bottom or squirt directly out of the bottom into the water (like most normal engines). I'm assuming its in the bottom rear of the powerhead? Does it have a hose leading to a port in the engine casing?

Should any water flow out of the two small holes that exhaust flow from halfway down the shaft?

THANKS AGAIN SO MUCH!

pvanv

Admiral

The telltale is from the bottom of the powerhead -- actually, it's a port in the top of the driveshaft housing. So no, there's no hose inside the case for it.

Those two lower holes are low-speed exhaust relief, and yes, there can be some water in the stream.