Looking to buy a used 70 HP Nissan 2 stroke, 2 cylinder. Advice needed

sbklf

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I will go look at a 1980's (mid I think) Nissan 70 HP and was wondering if anyone has any experience with them. Are they good motors? What should the compression be? Is there anything I need to look for in particular? Any advise would be appreciated. Kevin

temple1975

Seaman
Re: Looking to buy a used 70 HP Nissan 2 stroke, 2 cylinder. Advice needed

I own a Tohatsu m60a 86 same exact motor except for the 10 hp difference. Tohatsu / Nissan are the same except for decals. Anyway mine has been solid until the lower end went out. Parts for lower ends are about non existent. Impellers are even hard to come by. So as long as the lower end doesn't break you will have a solid engine. In my opinion and in hindsight I would have bought a Merc, Johnson, or Rude from the same era simply because there are tons of parts and people who work on them. Do yourself a favor and google search older Tohatsu / Nissan outboard parts. Then search for older Merc, Johnson, Rude parts. I SAY BUYER BEWARE !!!!

sea_stork

Cadet

I have an '87 40 hp Tohatsu, it has been awesome. I recently purchased an '88 70 hp Nissan, it tested 150lbs on both cylinders. Temple1975 is right about used parts being harder to find, but the "made in Japan" Tohatsu/Nissans are some of the best motors made IMO, and worth the search.

Live to fish, fish to live, fish or die!:D

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

As most parts have not been available for that model for years I wouldn't touch it. It was a great motor in it's day, but that day is over.

sea_stork

Cadet

There is always EBAY, they have 2 lower unit listed as well as many other parts.:D You can also do a google search, as many are just listing parts on other sites. I will NEVER buy a new Tohatsu/Nissan. I am ticked that they have discontinued crucial maintenance parts for motors less than 20 yrs old, not to mention the best outboards ever made. I guess thats the way they do business.:mad:

sea_stork

Cadet

As far as compression my NS70A2 has 150lbs on both cylinders.:)