2001 Tohatsu 70HP Alarm Going Off

charly brown

Recruit
My alarm has been going off about every 3 mintues when I am running between 4000rpm's and 5. I can shut it down and keep it in neutral and almost right away I can put it back in gear and go for another few minutes until the alarm sounds again. The water pressure is good. The alarm is a continuous high pitch sound, I do not know if this is the hear alarm or the oil. How would I tell the difference? It has been doing this for a couple months and am tired of running it and having to stop every 3 minutes and then jump back on plane. Do you guys think this is a over heating problem or an oil. I guess I really need to know if the alarms for oil and heat are different. The water pump is brand new.

Thanks

Sea-Rod

Recruit
Re: 2001 Tohatsu 70HP Alarm Going Off

I too have a 70 HP M70C Tohatsu model year 2000 and have been chasing this problem for a year. After replacing temp sensor, water pump, thermostat, fuel filter assembly, rebuilding all carbs, removing head and inspecting for blockages the problem was finally found. SPARK PLUGS!!!! That's right, I had replaced plugs just before problem began and while I had ask for the correct plugs at the local auto supply store I made the mistake of not verifying the number. (In a hurry to get on the water that day). They had failed to give me he resistor NGK plug I had asked for. Without the resistor plug the radio frequency interference from the ignition was causing false alarms and even triggered the rpm limiter on one occasion. The alarm never came in at low speed always at 4700 to 5000 rpms after a minute of run time. No sure about other motors but the Tohatsu has a lot of RFI anyway. My mistake was not considering that the alarm could be false. Good Luck

sumnerrt

Recruit
Re: 2001 Tohatsu 70HP Alarm Going Off

People come on here for advice and help, not to read how the service manual has the answers. No ****! This is a forum where people help each other out, so if your advice is to read the service manual, then don't reply. Dang, we got it! Buy the service manual and we will be enlightened.