2006 honda 50 running on 2 cyl

canboater

Cadet
My Honda 50 runs on the top 2 cylinders at idle. I know some outboards work this way.Pick up the 3rd cyl at higher rpms. Should this outboard be running on all 3cyl all the time?

dummyman

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2006 honda 50 running on 2 cyl

Hi,

Your engine is supposed to run on three cylinders. It is possibly because the idle jet is clogged, This is mainly because you do not drain the fuel out of the carburettor when you do not use the engine for long. There are drain screws on each independent carburettors to get them drained it is a minor problem but try to get it cleaned.

Regards

canboater

Cadet

Thanks dummyman! I believe u are right.It has spark on all three cyl,s. And sounds normal at top speed. I will try and get it cleaned.Thanks again.Let u know any results.

canboater

Cadet

Update, Still not running properly. Carbs are clean,has compression on all cylinders.Sparks on all cylinders. Not running on bottom cylinder.. Had access to new cdi box. Tried it still the same. Im a little stumped. This engine has never run right from day one. Not under warranty anymore. My smart dealer insisted it was a proping problem. also the bottom plug appears to be wet when removed. Fuel not water. I tried spraying gas in bottom cylinder half throttle no response.Ok, any thoughts?

hondon

Lieutenant Commander

This could be as simple as an idle speed issue.This unit should idle at 950 +- 50 but really like the top end of that spec plus a little more in certain applications.Your boat tach is a poor indication of what you are actually turning.Idle speed set too low will cause your exact symptoms.

walt-oxie1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This is a problem that I have on several of my Honda 3 cylinders. Commonly it is the bottom cylinder that has a miss. The problem is most likely a clog in the venturi tube in the carb. Remove the carb, remove the bowl, remove the big flat tip screw in the bottom of the carb body. This will expose the tube. The tube will need to be GENTLY pried out with either a flat tip or needle nose pliers through the end of the carb (I cannot remember if it is the choke opening side). Once the tube is out it needs to be cleaned out with a small piece of wire or torch tip cleaner. There are 2 small holes in the side of the tube and one end that get clogged. Work the wire through until you can see through the tube. Then spray with carb cleaner and reinspect. Once it is totally clear it is time to put it back together. The small holes in the tube go parallel to the choke shaft. Lube the o-ring on the tube with a little oil and GENTLY pry it back in place through the opening in the carb. Put everything back together in reverse order.

I have to do this to mine about once a month. Then again, I commercial fish and rack up a bunch more hours than most. Not to mention 12 gallons or more of gas every day.

Hope this helps.

canboater

Cadet

Thanks,I will remove and check again. I was not sure of the direction of the holes when I put it together It did look clean though.. This helps. Ill let u know.

walt-oxie1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Make sure you can look through the tube on the ends too. There is a little hole on the O-ring end that gets clogged. Unfortunately, spray cleaners will not work most times.

canboater

Cadet

Checked carb again . ALL clear.It is definatly a carb prob though.When I ran engine and restricted fuel into that carb.That cylinder picked up. Did the same when I loosened the manifold set screw and alowed air in. Its flooding but why? The needle and seat,float looked good.

walt-oxie1

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If it picks up when restricted, the venturi tube or jet is clogged.

canboater

Cadet

Checked carb again today,all jets passages clear. Even synced the carbs. When I run the engine a any speed there is no difference when I pull the bottom plug wire off. The plug is still wet when I remove it.And there is spark there. Putting it in the water to mess with it tomorrow.

canboater

Cadet

Hey I think Ive got it sorted out.Ran boat in water today.Ran much better. I think it was a combination of dirty carbs and carbs not synced. I used a manometer to sync the carbs. I also turned up Idle to 1000 rpm,s as suggested.Its a major difference. It planes no problem,redlines at 6000.
It tops out at 32 mph.Its a 16.5 Lowe fishing machine with a 50 honda.Does that sound right? Anyways thanks for everyones help on here.