Looking for electronic ignition module for Honda 7.5

wrwetzel

Cadet
I have an older Honda 7.5, likely 25 years old or so, but with very little use in at least the past ten years. I'm having a bear of an ignition problem that is driving me crazy. All signals seem ok, and I'm using an oscilloscope to observe them, not a simple voltmeter. But I have a very weak spark with the plugs out of the cylinders, only visible in a darkened room, and no spark with the plugs in the cylinders trying to fire into a compressed mixture. (I can see a difference in the waveform of the signal driving the ignition coil when they fire vs. not fire.)

There are only four components, total, in the ignition system - a magneto coil that generates the operating power, an exciter coil that generates a trigger pulse, an electronic-ignition module aka capacitor-discharge module, and the ignition coil that makes the spark. My best guess is that the problem is in the electronic-ignition module, specifically a capacitor in the module that has lost some of its ability to hold a charge. That module is potted so I don't have access to the individual components making up the module. Otherwise, it would be an easy diagnosis.

My problem is that each of the four components is expensive, well over $100 for the electronic-ignition module and almost that for the spark coil. I'd be glad to buy a new part if I had complete confidence that it would solve the problem, but after two days of chasing ghosts I don't have that confidence. That's why I'm asking for help.

Does anyone here have an old 7.5 or 9.9 that has failed for a non-ignition reason that they would be willing to part out?
Anyone with experience to confirm or contradict my guess?

I should add that two weeks ago the engine was submerged in salt water for about an hour but I got it running again within an hour after a fresh-water flush, compressed-air dry and oil change. Ran fine for a couple of hours thereafter.

The season is passing quickly. I've had my boat in since the first week of May and used it exactly twice. Please help.

Thanks,
Bill