2006 honda 75 hp wont idle...

jsboo72

Seaman Apprentice
I just bought this motor and it has 120 hrs on it. My problem is it will not start or stay running unless the manual choke is out. It runs good with it choked but as soon as i push the choke in it runs just a few secs and cuts off. I am pretty sure this is a carb(s) related issue. However, this is my first 4 stroke/Honda outboard so it's sort of a different animal to me. I bought the motor this way because i got a pretty good deal. Since i got it i changed oil/filter, fuel filter, spark plugs and gear oil. All of which looked good(plugs/fluids). ANYWAY, i guess my question is...what now? Any honda tricks?...Things i should know?...Suggestions? I appreciate it in advance....bring on the knowledge!

wrwetzel

Cadet
Re: 2006 honda 75 hp wont idle...

Assuming your engine has a carburetor...

Many carbs include a specific facility for operation at idle where the air speed over the main jet is insufficient for proper fuel supply. On my Honda 7.5 the idle facility consists of two small ports on the side of the barrel near the edge of the throttle plate. I suspect strongly that these idle ports or the plumbing feeding them is clogged.

Remove the carb, spray it with carb cleaner, and then blow compressed air through all openings you can find. You really should remove the fuel bowl and blow compressed air up through the main metering orifice, which likely feeds the idle ports as well as the main jet.

Bill