Tohatsu 50 water pump

beach_trade

Cadet
My neighbor has a 2000 Tohatsu 50 D2 and the water pump needs replacing. I have done yamaha's and rude's but never a Tohatsu.

I pulled the six bolts and dropped the lower unit down but cannot figure out where to disconnect the shift rod.

It doesn't look like it disconnects up top like an evinrude nor does it just fall free like my yammies. I noticed when in forward with the lower unit up tight there are 2 pins thru the shift shaft that are visible in the midsection.

Do you drive these out to free the shift rod? And if so do replacements come in the new water pump kit? We obviously don't have a service manual so any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Tohatsu 50 water pump

Yes, those need to be removed. Once out the unit will fall free. As far as replacement pins I didn't get any in my kit, but that's not to say it doesn't happen with other manufacturer's. Mine was a OEM kit.
I ended up going to ACE Hardware and believe it or not they had the exact replacements.
For the life of me I can't remember what they're called. I'm old - that's my excuse. :eek:

beach_trade

Cadet

I went ahead and punched out the top pin, their called roll pins btw, and the lower came right off.

The impellar was in bad shape with some melting and a third of each vane gone. I pulled the thermostat and ran the hose up the water pipe inside the midsection and there was good flow both out of the thermostat housing and the telltale so I don't think there are any pieces of rubber blocking anything.

As soon as he gets the kit we'll finish it up. Thanks for confirming what I thought was the way to do it.

pvanv

Admiral

New STAINLESS roll pins are available at any Tohatsu/Nissan dealer. So is a service manual.

gcboat

Lieutenant Commander

Roll pins - thanks guys !!!!!!:D