tohatsu tiller to nissan remote

roadie195

Recruit
i bought a 1975 13ft whaler today with a tohatsu 40hp 2 stroke engine with tiller. seller said the engine was early nineties according to call he made to factory. included was a non-installed brand new nissan RC4 control unit, (owners manual says 1987) and i need to install the RC. the seller said he was not sure it would work, as it was with the boat when he bought it but he only fished and never installed it. there is no compatible direct plugin, so i'll have to do some wiring mods i suppose.

does any know if this engine and this RC are compatible, and suggest steps to take?

much appreciated..

roadie195

pvanv

Admiral
Re: tohatsu tiller to nissan remote

To determine which parts and accessories are appropriate, you will want the proper model and serial numbers of the engine, not just an approximate year of build. The factory goes by model/serial (not year) of the motor for determining appropriate parts. I would suggest getting a Factory service manual (not an aftermarket "doorstop" manual) once you have the model info. FWIW, Tohatsu uses full part numbers -- not just model/style -- for ordering everything, including the RC stuff.

The side-mount RC box model/style (only) for a 40D (don't know that's your model) is the RC8A, but again, you need the correct motor model to determine the RC part number. Then you can determine the proper parts from a parts catalog, available on Elvin's website at http://www.internetoutboards.com/PartsCatalogMenu.htm

If you want full remote (with electric start and steering), you will need to get all the bits for an SRC fitting kit (that's what it's called on the newer models), as well as the RC harness bits. If you only want throttle and shift, that can be accomplished with a standard Morse-type cable control (including the RC4), and the appropriate Morse control cables, bracketing and clevis fittings at the motor. Note that it can be very expensive to convert from tiller (F type) to remote (P type).