What causes gel in cooling passage of Honda

wrwetzel

Cadet
I found an unknown gel-like substance in the cooling passages in my Honda 7.5 inlet manifold.

Previously I have observed relatively large crystals (perhaps 1/16" or so) in the vicinity of the thermostat. They did not appear to be salt and I believe I did a taste test last year with negative results for salt.

A week ago I had the inlet manifold off again to change the thermostat and noticed a clear jelly-like material in one of the passages in the manifold. My guess is that the crystals resulted when similar jelly dried out. I had the inlet manifold off only a couple of weeks before that and cleaned all the passages. Since then and seeing the gel I ran it only once and that was in a fresh water tank just for testing. Whatever the jelly-like material is, it formed in two weeks. The water inlet strainer is intact.

The engine is used in salt water. I flush it with fresh for 15+ minutes at the end of the season and test with fresh in the spring before launch.

Has anyone seen a gel or large crystals in the cooling system? Anyone know what it is coming from?

Thanks,
Bill