Tohatsu M90 clunking noise

cplayer

Cadet
I have a 96 Tohatsu M90 that has a clunking noise that I am trying to diagnose. The motor runs fine, but when in gear, about 1800 rpms, there is a clunking noise that gets worse if I procede. At first I thought it was the prop slipping, but it was not. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas before the lower unit comes off?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu M90 clunking noise

That's a bad sign....Listen to it carefully as the sound can be harmonically transmitted from the power head down as well as the L U up.

cplayer

Cadet

I haven't ran the motor under a load again, but it does run good in a tank, in neutral. Am I listening for internal engine noise ? Also, I haven't noticed any shifter problems, but could it be going in and out of gear?

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

When you shift are you gently easing the shifter lever in and out of gear?

cplayer

Cadet

Yes. It shifts fine from neutral to forward, or to reverse. I can idle around just fine, but when I accellerate , around 1800 rpms,the clunking starts and worsens if I keep on.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Here's a guess....The clutch dog facing and the forward gear dog facing are probably worn down from "gently easing the shifter lever in and out of gear". There is a tendency to gently shift in the mistaken idea that you are being kind to the engine. In reality you want to snap it in and out of gear to avoid wear on the dogs. Both the clutch and gear have metal "dogs" on them that lock into place when you shift. Those dogs become worn over time and instead of having sharp edges that lock, become rounded and allow themselves to slip around causing a horrible chattering sound. You can pull the bottom gear oil screw and see if any metal fragments come out with the first drop of oil. If that's the case, figure a seal kit, water pump kit, clutch, forward gear and reverse gear.

cplayer

Cadet

That dosen't sound near as bad as what I was thinking. I'll investagate that avenue soon. Thanks for the info and the guess. I'll let you know what I find, or don't find.