2001 Honda 9.9 Hard Start and Dies

firegoat

Cadet
I have a 2001 9.9 Honda 4 stroke and it has remote controls with key start. It starts after it has been cranked over about 20 times. After it starts it will run fine for about 3-5 minutes then slowly die. It will start again after a few minutes and then will again die after running for about a minute. Primer bulb does not get very hard too when I pump it a few times at start up. It cranks a bunch of times if I immediately try to start it after it dies with no luck. When I tilt the motor out of the water it will start right away at that angle. Of course I kill the motor right away to not damage it. I pulled the line off of the carb and pumped the primer bulb and it squirted strong. Is this normal right after the fuel pump? Does the pump restrict the pressure? Any help or suggestions? I was trying to take the family out today and now this happens :(. Thanks for any help! Anthony

dummyman

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 2001 Honda 9.9 Hard Start and Dies

Hi,
This problem i feel is probably of the fuel pump. Inorder to check this remove the fuel from the nozzle of the pump with the arrow mark facing out, and crank. if the fuel is pumping out then pump is ok. Then the problem is with the carb. If it is a manual choke i suspect as you close the choke the motor shuts down then it needs a carb clean up.
Good luck! Cheers

firegoat

Cadet

I will try that today and see what happens. The Honda has the lever on the controls for cold and warm start. It does not have a manual choke. I tried both ways yesterday with no luck no see if it would keep running. Wish me luck!

firegoat

Cadet

The fuel pump is good and now the fuel seems to be coming out of a tube behind the carb in a plastic housing. When I crank the motor is will not start at all now. It will only start occasionally when I tilt the motor completely out of the water. As soon as I drop it in the water it stops and sputters. I guess a carb clean/rebuild is the next thing to do.