Tohatsu Long Shaft 3.5 with no drain holes?

G8RLegist

Cadet
I have a long shaft 3.5A that I recently acquired. Being that I just acquired it, I would like to change the lower unit oil. Problem is, it doesn't appear to have the standard fill and drain holes that my Nissan 3.5A has. Any suggestions?

Tohatsu004.jpg

Tohatsu003.jpg

pvanv

Admiral
Re: Tohatsu Long Shaft 3.5 with no drain holes?

Ya got me. The 3.5A should have standard fill and drain on starboard side, according to my memory and the parts catalog. This is the start-in-gear model with the impeller on the prop shaft (just ahead of the prop), right?

Maybe Elvin has an idea.

G8RLegist

Cadet

Yep, its the start in gear model and has the impeller on the shaft. I bought the Factory Service manual but I can't find anything about it.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

I'll have to look at it, but I suspect someone bonded and painted over the standard fill and vent. I would really like to see an image of the top of the engine with the covers. Something looks funny about the lower unit.

G8RLegist

Cadet

Okay, what exactly should I take pictures of? Cover on or off? I agree that it looks like they might have somehow painted over or covered the holes, but that would be a lot of unneccesary work and they did an incredible job if that's what happened.

Does this help?

35004.jpg

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

It's a 77 or 78 model. I looked back through the antique parts book and....No screws for the gear oil:) This was apparently a learning curve model engine for Tohatsu. The way you fill it is by pulling the water pump case, adding oil and re-installing the case. Very messy. Other than that it's basically the same engine as the 3.5 As and A2s up to 92.

G8RLegist

Cadet

Thanks Elvin! This thing is in great shape for that age. Much better than my mid-90's Nissan. Looks like I'll be pulling the water pump/impeller. I'm sure I'll find a way to screw that up and will be back with more questions! Or I'll just swap power heads with my short shaft (that fits my skiff better) and give the long shaft to my sailboat buddy, thus making it his problem. :)

salmonite

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Is there anywhere online that i could find the antique parts book? I am having the same issues.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral

Nope...And I doubt that anyone will ever create a PDF file for one. I know I am not going to bother doing it:) I can't believe that two people still have one of these dinosaurs...They only brought a couple dozen of them into the US 30 years ago.

G8RLegist

Cadet

Awesome! I've got a certified rare antique! And one that runs better than my much newer motor. Cool. I guess now I have to keep it.

salmonite

Petty Officer 2nd Class

yeah mine runs great too, the only thing that worries me is the guy said he didn't even know what lower unit oil was and he owned it 10 years:eek: eh who cares for 50 bucks i can afford to go to the dealer

readytolearn

Cadet

Thanks Elvin! This thing is in great shape for that age. Much better than my mid-90's Nissan. Looks like I'll be pulling the water pump/impeller. I'm sure I'll find a way to screw that up and will be back with more questions! Or I'll just swap power heads with my short shaft (that fits my skiff better) and give the long shaft to my sailboat buddy, thus making it his problem. :)

I just obtained a 3.5A that is just like yours, except a short shaft. I'd appreciate any updates on your progress.

readytolearn

Cadet

Awesome! I've got a certified rare antique! And one that runs better than my much newer motor. Cool. I guess now I have to keep it.

I pulled the impeller and waterpump casing today to check the gear oil. It looked as if it were brand new. There was a little trick in that the pin for the impeller has to be removed down so that there is enough room for it to clear the casing of the pump. Other than that it was pretty straightforward. The impeller looked a little different than pictures of the current impellers that I am seeing.

Is it a different part number for this 3.5A? There was no nylon insert for the center, and there were slots for the pin that drives it on both sides.

readytolearn

Cadet

yeah mine runs great too, the only thing that worries me is the guy said he didn't even know what lower unit oil was and he owned it 10 years:eek: eh who cares for 50 bucks i can afford to go to the dealer[/QUOT

As I have one of the same model, you could always sell yours to me for parts.

:rolleyes:

G8RLegist

Cadet

Honestly. I have't done anything about mine yet. My other 3.5A (newer version) is running great now that I found a replacement coil for it so I haven't needed to mess with the older one. Maybe once it cools down a bit down here in Florida I'll get around to tinkering with it.

Just how messy was it changing the fluid and impeller? When I changed the impeller on the newer one (early 90's) it looked fairly similar to late model impellers to me.

readytolearn

Cadet

Honestly. I have't done anything about mine yet. My other 3.5A (newer version) is running great now that I found a replacement coil for it so I haven't needed to mess with the older one. Maybe once it cools down a bit down here in Florida I'll get around to tinkering with it.

Just how messy was it changing the fluid and impeller? When I changed the impeller on the newer one (early 90's) it looked fairly similar to late model impellers to me.

It wasn't bad at all. I should have taken pictures, but I live in Yuma, AZ, and it was pretty hot. I put the engine on the ground with the prop up and over a used oil collection tank, the kind that you put under your car. The most trouble was getting the shear pin out, as it had be slightly bent. It was brass. I had to file it down on one side to be able to drive it out. Then I was able to take off the impeller and the little pin that drives it. As I said, it had to come out toward the bottom of the engine. Once I took the pump housing off, I could see the gear oil and the gears behind it. Mine looked like new. I tipped the motor and let the oil drain into the oil tank. The level of the oil was at the top of the gears when the engine was horizontal, prop up. I put in new oil to the same level. Be sure to tip the prop end up a little to let the oil fill the void up towardthe engine. A few bubbles came out of mine. Then reassemble.

There was no mess to speak of. I have not tried to start mine yet because I want to clean the tank first. There is strong compression and spark though.

readytolearn

Cadet

I didn't change the impeller because it looked and felt good and I did not have a replacement. I was not sure that it is the same impeller as the current one. that was something I was hoping you could clear up.